Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy straight 6 camshaft question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Seeholmez, Dec 4, 2022.

1. Seeholmez

Seeholmez
    from san diego

A friend recently had a 230 rebuilt for his C10. It would not start and we realized it wasn’t pumping fuel. We pulled the pump and realized that the love to drive the pump is in the wrong spot so it looks like its a 292 cam. My first thought was to use an electric fuel pump and move on. Are there any other considerations with using a 292 cam in the smaller engine? Clearance issues, etc. it turns over clean so I’m guessing no. Any advice or information is much appreciated.

2. Joe H

Joe H

Thats the only difference, pump location and specifications. Not written on the specifications of stock cams.

3. Seeholmez

Seeholmez
    from san diego

Thanks Joe, much appreciated!

4. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

292 cams have reliefs cut between lobes for rod clearance with the long stroke. You can put a 292 cam in a 230/ 250 but not the other way round .

5. Seeholmez

Seeholmez
    from san diego

Thanks Jethro. This makes sense. I could feel the relief cuts through the fuel pump opening. Like a flat spot on the shaft. We shall soldier on with electric pump. I appreciate the help!

6. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The reason I know this is I tried it other way round. I had to grind off the fuel pump lobe and machine some flats on the cam so the engine would turn...it worked but I should have got the right cam in the first place.