Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods chevy scattershield id

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Im the owner of a 66 chevelle. I have owned the car for a long time. last fall the clutch wore out. because I race the car on occasion I want to put a scattershield on in place of the stock aluminum bell housing while I have things apart. the car has a hot 327 and a Muncie. I have heard the tri 5s and the chevy IIs use a unique one. can anyone post a pic of what is correct for the 66 chevelle. a neighbor has one for sale that he thinks is correct. before I start taking things apart I want to have the right pieces in my hands. thanks

2. The only difference between the tri five and a Chevelle is provision for side mounts. I cannot say for a Chevy II but yours is going to look a lot like mine.

2a63f1edb2bf6df7fb50408920f0a1f5.jpg

racer-x likes this.
  3. egads

egads

4. Fordors

Fordors

Early Chevy II, through 1967 will have the opening for the fork around the 8 o’clock position.

ottoman, Johnny Gee and racer-x like this.

5. I have one that was made for '55-'57s......along with the side motor mounts, it's a two piece housing......bottom part is removable......makes inspecting the clutch and adjusting a hydraulic TO bearing a lot easier.

racer-x likes this.
  6. imagejpeg_2.jpg Thanks everyone for the info. The upgrade could just save my feet. I hammer on the car every chance I get.

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

All I can say is the Lakewood that I bought for my 67 Nova was the most expensive one they offered, at least 1/3 more than the cost of their regular scattershield.
    And I've always heard the opening for the throwout fork was called a 7:00, at least the Nova community refers to the oem belhousings that way.

8. Fordors

Fordors

Last one I had any hands on was in my ‘67 Nova 50 years ago, but all I was trying to do was point Brian in the right direction.
    In reality it looks to be set at 45* from horizontal, or 7:30 :cool:

427 sleeper likes this.
  9. Fordors that was a handy tip. The guy had a 64 nova for some time. It may have come out of that car. He cant remember. Now I know what to look for. Thanks hamb community.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  10. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have one that I had in my 56 Chevy. One piece housing. Just missing the block plate. I think they're about 100 bucks from Summit. It's yours if you want it. PM me if you're interested. Jedd

11. squirrel

squirrel

I had a Lakewood for a tri 5 that had the lower mounts. It was an early one...no holes for a block plate!

12. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got mine in 93. Just after they stopped making the trap door model. Wish I could've got that one.

13. squirrel

squirrel

this is the tri 5 housing I had.

IMG_4165.JPG

14. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine had removable mounts and holes for the block plate. Otherwise, same but different!

15. I get it that the tri fives had lower amounts. Is the rest the same? Could the lower mounts be removed because they are not needed?

The place were the z- bar pivots on the ball stud is it correctly located for a 66?

16. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On the one that I have, they can be removed. On a 66, the ball stud should be screwed into the block and not the bellhousing, although the provision is there in the bell if needed.

17. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

The lower motor mount brackets bolt on, with two bolts, per side. At least that's the way the one in my 55 is. The Lakewood in my 55 was new in about 1971. Otherwise, it's the same as the one in my 59 BelAir, and should be the same as for a Chevelle.

The cross shaft pivot screws into the block on 59 Chevys, also. The Lakewood in my 59 still has the mounting bracket for the 55 - 57 cross shaft bracket. Just the motor mount brackets, and holes are missing. It was new in about 1992.

427 sleeper likes this.
  18. Cool. Armed with my new found knowledge I will go check out what my neighbor has to offer. I really should have put one in years ago. I have been lucky that I didn't explode a clutch or flywheel. I plan on putting in a steel flywheel at the same time for added safety. If you roll the dice enough times eventually they turn up snake eyes.

X-cpe and 427 sleeper like this.
  19. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

If you get one, would you be interested in selling the unneeded rear motor mount brackets? I have a Lakewood for my 56, that is missing the brackets.

20. I saw some pics. It has the brackets on it. They are welded on. I can use a cut off wheel to remove them. I'm sure I can do a good enough job so they can be re used. I will PM you when they are off.