Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy S10: is a free one worth having?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eagletucky, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

I checked through the searches, got lotsa opinions, but did not specifically answer my question.
    Here goes:

My bro in law has a 91 short bed, standard cab s-10, w/a 2.8, 5 speed. 10 billion miles, currently doesnt run. Its free. He just wants it gone. Is this truck worth keepin around for future projects? Frame swaps, tranny swaps, etc? I dont really have a project for this to go into, but I would hate to pass it up only to find out it could be of use in the future.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

2. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

DEFINATELY!! GREAt for a chassis swap under LOTS of stuff. easy to get lowering parts for and even bag kits. very universal. i've even known a couple guys who put that 5 speed behind a V8 and it held up just fine. just gotta use the V8 bellhousing and i think you might have to enlarge a couple holes or something. gonna be doing it on the neighbor kids hot rod pretty soon. got a 5 speed from a 2.8 S10 coming from Sephgato.

i've been working on two different Chevy AD truck frame swaps onto S10 chassis. both short beds. on one i shortened the bed and the other we moved the entire rear suspension back to keep the stock bed length and wheelbase. do a search for that thread. it's from the past couple months.

if you don't need it somebody you know just might before too long. i'd keep it around if you have the space for it. can't beat the price, thats for sure.

3. Squablow

Squablow

The 6 cylinder T-5 stick tranny is definitely worth saving, they're getting hard to come by, make sure to save the clutch/pressure plate and the driveshaft when you pull it out. The rearends are fairly narrow so they work great to swap into earlier cars but they're not worth a ton. The frames are also great for swapping into trucks and some 40's cars but again, not super valueable. I'd get it, save the tranny and the rolling chassis, strip out all the eBay-resaleable parts like taillights and lock cylinders and grilles, ect (you'd be surprised what you can sell) and scrap out the junk body.

If you're tight for space then at least save the tranny and the rearend with the driveshaft. I'm sure you could resell that stuff or trade it for something you need. No use in squashing it with all the goodies inside.

4. monzadood

monzadood
    BANNED

i`ll come take it off your hands....i`m local too.

5. 32chevysedan

32chevysedan
    from Texas

You can always keep it and use the frame under a glass willys body. They have kits now where the Willys body will bolt right to the s-10 frame.

6. Or you could fix it up like these.

Attached Files:

7. rixrex

rixrex

keep the frame,steering column,etc. throw the rest away..frame is already kinda narrow and fits older car bodies pretty well..V6 to V8 motor mounts are easy to make, use headers for 80s Camaro, they will fit. you've already got your disc brakes, modern IFS...good to go!....rixrex

8. KEEP IT, HANG ON TO IT, DON'T PASS IT UP.

I would post pic's of my 39 Plymouth truck/S10 frame build if I could. But for some reason I can't down load them to this site. Bob

I will try one more time.
    Nope, Don't know what I am doing wrong.
    O well, as soon as I figure it out I will post some pic's. Bob

9. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

Yes. If you don't want it, pass it on to the next guy. Don't let the wrecking yard have it.

10. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

I'm with everybody else, SAVE IT! Keep the column, pedals, etc.

Start looking for a wider rear end, toss it together, and park it out back for the next project!

11. junk runner jr

junk runner jr

If you decide not to keep it give me a holler I will take it off your hands.

12. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Just bought one with 300,000 miles a few months ago..
    2.8, 5spd. Make sure they changed the OIL!!
    Mine works fine now that I blew out all the oil return paths down from the pushrods. It leaks oil and you can't change the pan gasket w/out taking out motor. Rear seals are 1 pc and have to be put in w/ the tranny out.
    Other than that, 20 mpg highway and does what I want it too..

Spoons

13. shadetree123

shadetree123

Every serious rodder will at some time need a truck to get parts. Women really hate it when you spill transmission fuild in the trunk. If that sounds like a familiar scenario, go for it.

I nevery saw the beauty in customizing these things but then beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...

14. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

Thanks for the replies, fellas.

I think I'll drag it home, see if I can get it going under its own power, then decide from there.

I already have a buddy that wants to build a 38' international using the entire chassis.

We'll see.

Tim

15. Rand Man

Rand Man

I also had a free S-10 fall into my lap this week. Can't pass it up.