Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy Power pack heads

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jimmysweden, Jul 15, 2017.

1. jimmysweden

jimmysweden
    from sweden

Tell me more about Casting number on the heads is 3785896. 62-64. 283/327. My son just bought a engine (283) with this heads. Good or normal? Thanks guys...

2. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Just ditch them and get yourself some EQ iron or aluminum for less than $900.00 complete and you don't have to stick seats and valves into the old heads.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

^^^^^^^^^^^^I'll Second the Motion^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

4. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

We use the aluminum on all our sbc engines, they come with good springs for .550+ lift are much lighter, plus they have accessory holes so you can use decent front drive on it.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The real issue to consider, is normally, Power Pack heads have "around" a 60 CC combustion chamber; the 56 Power pack heads had 55.6 CC chambers on the 265. YOUR Power Pack heads DO have 60 CC chambers. Even a few CC's difference can make a pretty big difference in final CR on these small bore, short stroke, mini-mouses. Some truck based Power Pack heads (still with the pyramid on rectangle casting identifier) had 70 CC chambers! So, be mindful of chamber size with the small CID engines. You can update to later, 305 heads with 601 casting numbers (53 CC chambers) or 416 casting number 58 CC chambers), get larger ports, larger valves (in some cases), and hardened seats; plus no one wants a 305 anyways, so the heads are free or dirt cheap. And it's true, some heads do require a lot of work to bring them back, some just to add to the machinists income (sorry, but it's true), and some just flat out are't traditional at all. I see you're way over there in Sweden, so finding SBC parts, especially older ones, is probably not anywhere as easy as we have it here. Your heads are fine for the engine they are on. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

ottoman likes this.
  6. jimmysweden

jimmysweden
    from sweden

Thanks Butch. I appiciate the help here. My soon don't need a dragstar engine but he want a nice running 283 and if these heads are ok he will be glad... Camshaft and headers and a good carb... four on the floor...

7. dudley32

dudley32

I love those little 283's

Saxman likes this.
  8. 65ny

65ny

Sent from my SM-J700T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app