Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy or Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Miayota, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Miayota

Miayota
    from 305

Looking to buy a 1927-29 Roadster.

Why is Chevy so much less than a Ford? Are Chevy's just not the thing when it comes to these type of cars?

2. yes , Fords are more popular which means more $$$$

3. If you do get it be sure and use flathead power.

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The very early GM cars aren't as desirable to many, 'cause they had so much wood in 'em...and it rots over time. More often than not, most or all of it needs to be replaced either by new wood or custom-fit steel.

The Fords have wood too, but not nearly as much.

So now, which would you choose?

5. how many repro parts do you see for an early chevy or companys selling them

6. Normbc9

Normbc9

There are a number of vendors who specialize in old Cevy parts. The Filling Station in Lebanon, OR is one I use. Another is 20Chevysparts is another. One more is Larrowe and Sons in Oregon and the other is JJinlines who is another part of the Larrowe operation and then Chevysoftheforties who also stocks some older parts than the name implies. I have old Chevys and yes, the wood issues are a problem. But I give the termites a decent burial in a two part epoxy I introduce at the top of the A, B and C posts from the top and put a pie plate under the car to catch any leakage. So far it has worked for me. The hard one is the crown over the dash connecting both A posts but with patience and planning you can purchase a single piece from one of several good wood craftsmen who offer those parts.
    Normbc9

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the same-era Dodges and Plymouths had even less wood and pretty strong frames to boot. So using my reasoning, (previous post) they should be even more expensive than the Fords...but generally aren't. So it's obvious that there's more to it than just how much wood is in 'em.

What do we do? Try to emulate the past.

What was traditionally the popular car to hot rod? Ford.

I think it mostly has to do with that.

And...a lot of guys simply like the Ford's styling better.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

cause it ain't no fun to put a Ford motor in a Chevy.

9. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

You know my answer. But a Ford with a chevy motor is half way decent.

10. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

My 34 Chevy 5w (with ZERO wood) is definitely getting the cool looking DOHC Ford mod engine. Looks good in a Model A too.

Attached Files:

11. Holy shit! Those motors aren't half bad lookin' stripped down.You may be on to something there.

12. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Neither............ MOPAR! or no car.

13. Back then Chevy built a wooden body covered by sheetmetal.
    Ford built a sheetmetal body with a little wood where needed..

14. kracker36

kracker36

Here is one of the most ironic parts of the hot rodding culture. People will build a Ford car and put a SBC into it because it is " cheaper " to build. BUT those same " die hard Chevy " guys will not build a cheaper Chevrolet car. Even if they do build a Chevy vehicle they dont mind using a Ford front suspension or 9" rear end. Makes no sense at all! BTW, GM built more vehicles in most of those years than Ford.

15. Coilover love the 34 Chevy what's the second car? Got rid of all the wood in my 33 Chevy!

16. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Oh yes it is :D Causes meltdowns amongst the Chebbrainwashed :eek:

17. 4rod

4rod

By who's standards, its a waist in my opinion, however, that's not what this thread is about, nor does it have anything to do with the original question...stay with FORD yu'll have more options with regards to vendors...and resale value

18. killbilly

killbilly

Its not that difficult to build a steel frame for a late 20's to mid 30's Chevy (or GM) body,just takes a little patience

19. Henry put America on wheels and smoke in the air!!

20. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

If it doesn't make sense to you to mix and match the best parts from different manufactures. I think you're on the wrong site. It's called Hot Rodding, not restoring.

And yes I do run a Chevy in a Ford. Why, because Ford built better bodies in the 30's and I like Chevy motors. I also run a 9" rear because I think it works the best for me.

And please stop it with the anti Chevy agenda all ready. It's getting old! We all get it you, Moe Fuzz and Meangene427 hate Chevy and like Ford. Who cares, run what you want and everybody else will do the same.

Oh yeah and I guess I'll actually answer the OP's question, which you didn't. When i first started building a hot rod I bought a 34 Olds coupe body. I learned real quick why they been using Ford bodies for the last 80 years, the wood, lack of parts, and styling are just a few. So I sold it and bought a 34 Ford Pickup cab and couldn't be happier with it.

That being said if you could buy a GM right and it was all there, go for it. It's always cool to see something different. And put a Flat Head, Hemi, Nailhead, SBC, or Olds in it, because it's a Hot Rod!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  21. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Actually, you don't get it at all- I don't "hate" Chebbies, if I did I'd be acting just as ignorant as The Great Chebbrainwashed. Chebbie engines belong in Chebbies, and Ford engines belong in Fords- very simple. Just look how spun-up some of the Chebbie guys get when someone even mentions putting a Ford engine in a Chebbie- but that's DIFFERENT, right? There are way too many good Ford engines available to validate using a Chebbie by any other reason except that a lot of folks don't seem to be able to build anything they can't do by checking off the same 'ol boring bellybutton parts as everybody else in the Summit catalog on a sbc- and they say it's "cheaper". I agree- but there is also a big difference between "cheaper" and "less expensive" :p

22. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

I bleed Ford Blue, but I can't figure out why you don't see more early Chebbies. Last show I went to, two of the cars that got the most attention were pre 40s Chevys.
    My challenge to those who believe the sun rises and sets on the almighty Bowtie....BUILD one!!

23. kracker36

kracker36

I really read this correctly from M Thrasher??

" Its always cool to see something different----- put a SBC in it. LOL!

24. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

39-40 fords , 36 -32 fords are the most popular bodies for obvious reasons --sbc most popular engine choice just as obvious---popular means in the opinion of most people nothing more than that

25. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Stronger structure and lots of them, same years roadsters in chevys didn't hold up to the elements. Early V/8's and abundance made great hotrod material to start with. Resale-wise you could probably sell a dozen late twenties - early thirties Fords for every Chevy of the same years. Time, effort, cost all factors for popularity.
    "I gotta hotrod Ford and a two dollar bill." Hank Williams

26. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Let me get this straight, I don't get "Traditional Hot Rodding" because that's what I mean when I say "it". Because I think someone should run the best combination of parts or what they feel is the best combination. And you do because you think that a Ford should stay in a Ford and a Chevy in a Chevy. That statement goes against the very essence of what Hot Rodding is. So what about all the Willys Coupes with all the different makes of motors they ran? So a Willys coupe running a Hemi, according you would have to be the heavier more expensive Mopar Coupe, not the cheaper (at the time) and lighter Willys coupes.

Also what should of I done? I had a 582 BBC in pieces from a stalled Camaro drag car project. I wanted to build a Hot Rod. My 2 options would be sell all my BBC chevy parts for half of what I paid. And build a 500 plus CI BFF.( And I'm not bashing the BBF, from what I've read and heard is an incredible platform to build on) But lets not forget they're even less traditional then my BBC. Or I could build an inferior 34 Chevy truck. That's an easy answer for me. I'll use the best body with what I feel is the best driveline. And for me that's a Chevy motor and trans with a Ford rear end.(Because no one in there right mind would run 12 Bolt!):) But that's Hot Rodding!!

You're right I can't say that you hate Chevys. But 3 names pop-up every time a thread degrades into a Chevy versus Ford question. On a lot of these threads the OP's question has nothing to with why you think Ford is the best and Chevy blows. That's why I even brought it up. The OP asked a question with a solid answer why early Fords are more popular and more expensive then early Chevys. Then I have to hear kracker36 start talking about why he doesn't understand SBC's and 9"s used in the same build. What does that have to do with the OP's question, absolutely nothing? This is the same guy with an International truck with a SBF. So shouldn't he be running an International motor or should he have bought a Ford cab?

I usually keep my mouth shut when I see these type of posts but it's gets old to keep seeing the rhetoric. Why am I as you say a "brainwashed Chebbie guy"? Can't I like Chevy for the same reasons you like Ford? No one brainwashed me. It's a fact Chevys are popular. But wouldn't that make your less popular Ford that much cooler then all the Chevys. Also don't I have to work that much harder to make my Chevy different then everybody else's? I guess I don't understand why other people care what kind of motor and or car somebody else chooses to spend their money on.

Obviously I don't get spun up at all and I can't speak for everybody. But didn't you read the last line of my post? That's the best part about Hot Rods there's not 2 the same. If somebody wants to take a 390FE, Hemi, or a nailhead and stick it in a 55 Chevy, I say hell yeah!

At the same time if a guy puts a crate SBC in a Model A. Why is he brainwashed? Sure, I'll agree 100% I would love to see a Hemi, Pontiac, or an FE. But at the same time it's another old car on the road with the owner enjoying it. That begs the next question. If the same guy chooses a crate SBF for the same project. Does that make him Brainwashed, lazy, and boring?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  27. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

No actually you didn't. You just take out the part you want to hear. Why wouldn't you quote the whole statement? Oh I know you have some sort of agenda. The point was using an early GM body. Because how many of those do you see? Then running whatever motor you want. That is Hot Rodding, what don't you understand?

Here ya go I'll requote it for you.

"That being said if you could buy a GM right and it was all there, go for it. It's always cool to see something different. And put a Flat Head, Hemi, Nailhead, SBC, or Olds in it, because it's a Hot Rod!"

So I have to ask you this too. Why is it OK for you to put a Ford driveline in an International but it's not for anybody else to put a Chevy driveline in a Ford? I must of missed that in the Hot Rod rule book. Oh wait there are no rules.

BTW when are you going to answer the OP question?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  28. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

The first question anyone asks you when they find out you have a Chevy from the 20's or early 30's is what are you going to do with the wood. For some reason that is all they can think about and it scares them off. I figure you just replace one peice at a time and when your done you have something different. I was originally going to buy a model A coupe, but found my chevy and had to have it. Now I wouldn't trade. Here my Chevy version of Ford's Vicky.

[​IMG]

29. zkilla396

zkilla396
    from Peoria, IL

Coilover - I dig your DOHC choice; although modern these are great engines and I think look pretty cool to boot. Who doesn't love those giant cam covers/ heads?! Are you goin carbed? Either way, rock on!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad