Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy/OMC/Mercruiser 3.0 questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Turbo26T, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Today,I was in a shop & stored in the corner was a chevy 4 cyl engine...The guy said he knew nothing about it other than he bought it at an auction...supposedly has lot of "good stuff" inside,etc,etc...I did lift the valve cover and it had aftermarket roller rockers ...so ,after reading a recent post on the 153/181 Checy/OMC/Mercruiser engine...What casting numbers (block & head), etc do I need to look for...I'd naturally like it to be a 181/with the " good" head...but I don't want to buy it and it turn out to be a 153..He wasn't too keen on tearing it down to measure,etc...kind like "gimme $300,take it home and find out later.." .any info,etc appreciated...
    This could be the engine for a 3.0L bellytank LSR project I'm considering...something like F/Gas Lakester for Maxton

BTW : Attn. Search Police ..I did a search and couldn't find this info in HAMB archives

Stan

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

My 181 sitting on a stand in the front bedroom has 2770087 on the block above the starter area. What is stamped on the pad by the dist.? Mine starts "MO" 4 digits and 2 more letters.

3. gearguy

gearguy

You might try asking over on the cageless midget thread. The 153 Chevy II was 3.875" bore x 3.25" stroke. We bored ours to accept 4" Chevy v-8 pistons for 163ci. The 181 had a 4" bore with a long 3.600" stroke. Both were used in midget racing.