Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy/ International tandem master cylinder question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brock49Ford, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Brock49Ford

Brock49Ford

I am using the International clutch/brake tandem style master cylinder, Raybestos MC36155. I am going to have a modified balance bar style pedal assembly and use the "Brake" side for the fronts and the "Clutch" side for the rear. The pistons are two different depths which means different push rod lengths, not a big deal.

Where I am confused is that the internals are different side to side. The pistons are the same length as well as the springs. The top and base are different though. I know on the Chev version you have to swap the internals side to side due to the configuration, but are they different like these? These are both a 1" bore. Why does the clutch side have the shorter top and bottom and extra holes? I am thinking it has something to do with more travel in the clutch pedal that goes to the floor ( bad thing with brakes)

Should I make up new parts to match the other side? or just run with it. Since it is the rear brakes I am not to worried and I have the balance bar to adjust the bias if needed.

Ideas??? :confused:

Attached Files:

2. Brock49Ford

Brock49Ford

Back up for the day crowd. Any ideas?

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Simple ,just buy another brake side repair kit.

4. the brake side should have a residual valve in it , the clutch side won't have one

5. It sounds like you are mixed up about the function of the internal components. The parts in the left in your pictures are actually the brake parts.

The "shorter" piece with the holes is the residual check valve.

The "longer" piece on the clutch side along with the other piece on the outer end of the spring limit the stroke of the clutch piston.