Register now to get rid of these ads!

chevy II 153 four cylinder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junior 1957, Oct 21, 2012.

1. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Charlie,here is a picture of the 6 cylinder Weber setup from KIRK's car.They obtained the whole kit from Pierce Manifolds.I see the manifold is actually a Clifford manifold. I have to wonder if Clifford didn't get their's from Peirce to begin with?

Attached Files:

2. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Here is the image of the EVM 8 port midget head I mentioned earlier.

Attached Files:

3. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Charlie,here is my Clifford Weber manifold.i haven't got to the point of making the decision where to make the inscision yet.Your linkage solution will make a lot easier when the time comes.

Bob

Attached Files:

4. Truckedup

Truckedup

Did you ever check the pans? The front sump pan 152 going in my old Jeep is a bit of an issue with front differential clearance.I see new 78-79 2.5 Monza rear sumps pans....But some list this pan as also fitting S10's.And some say the gasket is the same as the 153,some list a different gasket part number....My budget is tight and don't want to spend 60 bucks to find the pan is only good for holding junk parts...:D

5. Bob, I think I would cut it behind the middle runner if the length is correct. You could use a 4 cylinder intake/exhaust gasket to make sure on length.

Charlie

6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Sorry, No I haven't had time to check that. I understand the tight budget. I'm already done till next month.:eek:

7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

If it was going on a stock head the front two sections will fit the stud pattern but with the after market heads it's hard to tell. They had their own because of the port changes.

8. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181044447457?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Pretty sure this is the same head, intake and valve cover. I do not know the seller just thought you guys may think it is cool! Do the 153 heads swap onto the 181?

9. Truckedup

Truckedup

And in the end a 151 rear sump pan can be made to work on a 60's 153 engine.Have to rework the cutout fitting around the rear main,needs a little hammer massaging to clear the oil pump. The pan flange and bolt holes lines up pretty well,a few needed a slight elongation with a round files. The S10 pan only holds 3 quarts if you want the oil level a few inches below the 153 crank so I reworked the sump to hold about another quart. And reworked the oil pick up from 250 Chevy 6 parts..Sheet metal and brazing
    it doesn't leak after running the engine:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

A friend of mine recently bought the patterns for the Duggan 12 port 6 cylinder and 8 port 4 cylinder heads along with timing covers, injection intakes, a 4 cylinder block and more. I don't know how to post a link from the Inliner site. The site is "inliners.org" and you'll have to do a search for the thread "New Heads and Stuff" The brand will change to Marshall and he will be selling them soon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
    29EHV8 likes this.
  11. Six Ball,

You seem to be coming up with LOTS of fun Chevy stuff, lately :D!

To imbed a link, just right click the address when you have the page open, and paste it into your post :)

12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

For some reason on the inliner site the only address that shows up is for the home page.

Mac, I'm spending too much time on the net. I'm trying to clean my shop so I can begin my '26 Chevy roadster build. I've been looking at a lot of related threads and it seems to lead me to some new (to me) info. I also have some friends that are doing some fun inline stuff. When I actually get going I'll start a build thread.

13. I am running a 153 head on my 181 just until I get around to building manifolds for the 181 head. It has been on there since 1985 (ok, I am slow to getting around to things) and works great. There is a slight compression increase due to the larger displacement of the 181.

Charlie Stephens

14. bobscogin

bobscogin

How do the 153 and 181 chamber volumes compare?

Bob

15. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Don't cut it up Bob, I would make you a pattern and cast one specific for the 4 cylinder if you need one.

16. LOL- if those sidedraft carbs you just picked up get in your way, LET ME KNOW :D!!!

17. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Mac,I have a pair of DCOE 40s if your interested.PM me.

Bob

18. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Mac, Are you speaking of the 3 Zenith side drafts? I said they are a recent find but I'm not the the one who found them. They are from a fantastic stash in California. I just helped the owners ID them.
    Bob, You should take CNC-DUDE up on that offer he is not without skills.:D

19. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Six Ball,I will get a hold of him.

Banjeaux Bob

20. Yup, I did mean the Zeniths- no worries :D

21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Man, I'd build a 235 just to use those. I'd trade my Weber DCOEs for a pair.:rolleyes:

22. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I built my 153 header flange today. Actually I modified a set of 6 cylinder flanges to work on the 4 cylinder. I just added pictures to the end of the intake album. I think this could be done with a small block flange as well. Port spacing is the same. Bolt holes are different. A small block header might be adaptable. Some would definitely interfere with the intake. My son TIGed the intake for me. I'll post those pictures when I get it back. It came out well.

100_0852_2.JPG 100_0857_2.JPG

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  23. Danshotrod

Danshotrod

I had built this Tudor 4 years ago. A buddy of mine gave me the motor and a five speed. the car is now in Japan, sold it last year. that same guy gave me another 153 block, heads, crank, pans, clifford header, a few exhaust manifolds and intake, among other parts. Not shore if I'm going to built this motor or not. Don't know where to get parts..Dan

[​IMG]

24. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

What parts do you need. All the stock engine parts are standard stuff. Isky and others sell cams. Tom Lowe in Ohio will build you a lump port head like mine. Scott Marshall in Georgia will be casting his version of the Duggan 8 port head soon. Mercruiser aluminum valve covers and side covers fit. The only thing hard to find is an intake and they are easily made. Let me know if I can help you find stuff. I'm looking forward to getting my '26 Chevy roadster built with my Chevy 4.

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. bobscogin

bobscogin

Sounds like you've got most everything. Parts aren't hard to find. What is it you need?

Bob

26. Danshotrod

Danshotrod

Thanks for the info guys I'll keep that in mind...Dan

27. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Here is a Weber linkage setup I found on ebay from England.

Attached Files:

28. rhopkins

rhopkins

How much for one. Can you send a picture?
    Ron

29. rhopkins

rhopkins

Hey Trucked up, I would be interested in buy you a steak for a manifold.
    [email protected]

30. rhopkins

rhopkins

Skip, Call me Monday at 904-219-5190. I want one.
    Ron