Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy gearing Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrandonG, Dec 30, 2009.

1. BrandonG

BrandonG

Thanks guys, What I will do is:

Freshen up the 350 turbo, and run it in with the rest of the setup. If it is a huge slug, Not just a little sluggish, I will put the different rear gear in an the 700r4. No huge problem either way. But, thanks for all the input.

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I agree ... if you vehicle weighs more than 3100 or so pounds and has a carb. With a lighter vehicle, a 3.40 or 3.50 works nice.

3. Had a 88 nutless 307/200r4 Olds Cutlass. I'm not sure what the stock rearend gearing was, know was somewhere in the 2.56/2.73 neighborhood with a .66 OD transmission. It didn't like overdrive before you hit 60 plus, stock 14" wheel/tire combo/3400 lb car. The only time it hit good road mileage was on cruise control at 80 mph on a 500 mile summer trip with the A/C on.
    How does this factor into the question? Too tall rear gear 2.56/2.73/3.08 with the overdirve multiplier .66 or .70 with the weight and driving conditions will have adverse or improved effects on fuel mileage. Pick the size of the vehicle and where it is driven. Lug the engine, more fuel, spin it too hard, more fuel. You have to make all parts work together.