Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 51 steering box... HELP!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Señor X, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Señor X

Señor X
    from Spain

Hello to everybody,

I´m a Templars cc member, from Spain, and I need some good ideas from you.:)
    I have a Mild Custom 51´Chevy hardtop coupe, and his biggest problem is that the steering box is not in good condition... the wheels turn rigth and left by themselves! and with the new small-block 327 on the car, that´s a problem...
    The matter is that I have seen on internet and on ebay new or rebuilt steering boxes for 55, 56 and 57 chevys, but not for my car... the only solution I have seen is to buy a used 51 chevy steering box on ebay.. but I can´t be sure about his condition.
    My question is... there is some place where I can find a "new" or rebuilt chevy 51 steering box? if not... what´s the best option? there is some compatible one from another model? some of you have had the same problem?:confused:
    I need some answer! :(

Thanks in advance!

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

'53-'54 box is the way to go - improved design, bolt-in ...

3. Splinter

Splinter

Does anyone know if a '58 box will fit? 'Cause I'm gonna get one of them soon and I have no real use for it. I'd like to see it go to a HAMB'er that can use it.

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Nope, totally different design.

5. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

it won't, and shipping to spain would kill. you can convert to a SAAB steering rack. there was a post on doing just that here

6. ray

ray
    from colorado

the box is only half the problem, the funky centerlink in the chevy steering also needs to be replaced or rebuilt. i'd do what 53sled suggested.:D

7. pittsburgholdschooler

pittsburgholdschooler

The box on my '51 cpe tightened up with the adjuster screw...I DO still have to rebush or replace the center idler arm bushings...it has one of those JC Whitney screw clamp device that takes up the play in the idler....it seems to work fine...i'll just feel better with it replaced.

8. Señor X

Señor X
    from Spain

Thank you very much... I can try a 53-54 box that I could find in Europe... what I have to modify to insert it in the car? or simply I have to replace the stock one and put on this one?

9. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

It should be a bolt-in.