Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Chevy 3100 gas pedal setup question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HerecometheJudge1954, May 22, 2017.

1. IMG_2990.JPG
    IMG_2991.JPG
    Anyone knows what a 3100 gas pedal setup is supposed to be? In our old 3100, the gas pedal just lays on the rod via gravity, but can flow back like this. I don't know what it's supposed to be like, anyone have a pic of theirs? Thanks in advance.

BTW, the old rubber pedal pads had fallen apart completely on the clutch and brake, so I cleaned up the metal and stuck on some skateboard grip tape. Seems to work like a charm.

2. squirrel

squirrel

The engine is not original, is it? With the 235 engine, there was a rod poking through the floor, under the pedal. A rounded "knob" on the end of the rod fit into the hole on the back of the pedal.

But it looks like someone added a different type of linkage, with a pivot at the firewall?

HerecometheJudge1954 likes this.
  3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

<<<BTW, the old rubber pedal pads had fallen apart completely on the clutch and brake, so I cleaned up the metal and stuck on some skateboard grip tape. Seems to work like a charm.>>>

Ha! I saw ol' Elwood Blues spraying some of that shat on the pedals of the Motorhome the 'Good ol' Boys' gave chase in...with unsavory endings...

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim's correct as usual, I'll bet there's a V8 under the hood. Does look like the original style pedal. I'll bet someone just trimmed all the rubber off the back so it would work. It needs a piece of nylon glued to the back so it will slide. I've made this conversion and used a 55-57 Chev car threw the firewall linkage. Looks the same as what's there...

5. Yep, sbc 327. The setup actually works fine, the pedal just flops forward. Happened when I was getting it turned around on our little hill at an inopportune time o_O

I have some throttle return springs laying around, might be able to find a way to anchor it to the floor.

6. squirrel

squirrel

You could probably put a stop in it so it can't move so far back, or something.

The 55-57 chevy pickups used the same pedal, with the V8 engine, see if you can find a picture of the linkage they used. The pedal pops onto the knob on the end of the pedal link. The linkage is all on the engine side of the firewall.

7. Sweet, that's a cool idea, thanks Squirrel.

8. ..hook a small spring on the back side down to that bracket on the floor... ?

9. That's what I was fittin' to do. Eventually a proper '55-57 linkage would be awesome but for the short term, that's the plan. Found the linkage for ~60 bucks online but a spring is much cheaper for the now.

10. 97

I see you are in the PNW, you should contact Butch,
    56sedandelivery on here he is from Everett Washington, not only is he a real helpful guy, he has some 50s Chevy Pickups and deliveries, probably knows where all the parts in Washington are , but he also asked you to tell him where you live and offered to help in your brake thread....

11. Thanks for the suggestion. I just messaged him, I haven't had a lot of time to spend on the truck in the last week or two. I did, for the helluvit, order a 55-57 throttle linkage to see if I could somehow get it to work, but the firewall of the AD is just too different, without doing a ton of mods as far as I can tell. I think some people are just doing cable throttle linkage, is my impression. At any rate, I'll just stick with the spring/stop idea for now. Linkage isn't broken, guess I don't have to fix it.