Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 250 Inline Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Trucked Up, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

Ok inliners I am in need of some help. I have a 250 I am putting in a project '54 pickup.

I need engine brackets, power sreering, altenator and a/c if it was offered.

I have see some after market a/c brackets but they indicate that they will not work with HEI distributors.

Now I've done a search and looked in all the places I know of with no luck. I know there are some of you out there that can help me or at least point me in the right direction.

Thanks, Brent

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look under the hoods of mid 70's Nova's for the power steering/alternator bracket. They mount on one bracket with hardware for each.

I can't help you on the ac bracket as I haven't been through that battle yet but the time is coming with the 292 that is going in my truck.

3. LowFat48

LowFat48

also mid 70`s chevy and GMC trucks , my Dad had one with a 250 w/ AC and power steering

4. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

my 82 truck had the 250 with A/C. it was a round unit about 8-9" in diameter that mounted on the passengerside of the engine. i actually have the ps/alt setup laying in the shed

5. LowFat48

LowFat48

checker cabs is another place to look if you see one in a junkyard

6. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

here is a pic of the setup

SANY0920.JPG

7. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

8. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

Thanks for the info. I did go to the website and couldn't find a catagory for engine brackets.

Then gave them a call, just as I expected, they are a parts broker site and the nice lady I talked with didn't even know the difference between a inline 6 and a V-8.

Thanks again and I still need help if anyone can assist in finding these last three pieces to my puzzle.

9. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

pm sent to ya

10. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

Hey Tman thanks. Strange that I called both phone numbers listed and I get a recording asking to leave a message and then it tells me the message box is full.................................:confused:

I'll keep trying. Thanks

11. I've got two brackets from my old 250 powered Chevy truck. I was planning on having them chromed and putting them on the truck, but I never got that far. I can't remember if they are for the alternator, or power steering. I don't think they were for A/C. I just dug them out of a box last week and I was going to throw them in a load of scrap metal going to the crusher.

If you want them, pay the postage and they're yours. E

12. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

TRUCK...I had a 67 nova inline 6, and it had air. but the dist. was a little tough to get to. NOT imposible just a little tough! HA! man you will love that 250 c.i. baby. a word of caution. KEEP a new filter in the carb. inline filter. it's where the fuel line connects to carb. O believe me, you'll be glad you did...POP.

13. Snarl

Snarl

The thing about factory A/C is that it is for either the A-6 or R-4 compressors depending on vintage and I believe they were all using R-12 refrigerant back then??
    So if you are planing on using aftermarket A/C with the Sanden 508 compressor, the stock stuff is useless.
    I have seen aftermarket brackets on a 292 with the 508 compressor, but I don't know who makes it.

As for HEI, they came in two styles. One with the coil in cap, the other with separate coil. You can run the separate coil cap and rotor on a coil in cap dizzy, but you will need to file a different notch in the housing for the cap, as the two types are clocked differently. Not positive, but I think its about a 1/4" difference....
    Otherwise, keep an eye on Ebay...

I have an A/C and Alt. setup designed that will work with HEI, and am working on the PS, but it won't be ready until this summer.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  14. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

Very good point. Thanks for the info, it will help me in my search.

Ok fellow Hambers, I'm still looking, I know with your help I'll find the last pieces to this puzzle...........:D

15. jagvic

jagvic

16. Wildcat Garage

Wildcat Garage
    from Marion,NC

I had the same problem that you are facing.Here are a couple of photos of how I fixed mine on a 53 Wagon.I know you a wondering why I did not run the alternator belt to the water pump....it did not have enough of belt surface on the pulley and slipped.Maybe this will help!

Attached Files:

17. 3onthetree

3onthetree

If the A/C compressor is interferring with the HEI dist, another option would to be run the smaller points type distributor and use a Pertronix electronic conversion kit.