Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 235 Motor Mounts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Voh, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Voh

Voh

Can someone please help me? can I support my Chevy 235 from these side motor mounts, much like a conventional motor mounts (horizontal back to frame rails) or do I need to keep with the front mounts?

Weighing my options for a new crossmemember. Trying to get it all planned out before I start building stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

side mounts. front mounts are mainly for 216's

3. squirrel

squirrel

Chevy used those side mounts on the 58-62 cars with the 235, along with a modern type crossmember under the back of the transmission.

4. chettar

chettar

Both the 216 and 235 were front mounts until 1952 and 1953 when Chevrolet went to side mounts. If you have a 52 or 53 Chevy it will drop right in. Any of the Chevy engines 216, 235 or 261 work great with side mounts.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I don't know about dropping right in, the mount pattern on the block for the early 50s cars is different than on the late 50s cars. Three holes on each side for both types, but they are in different places

6. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

You are correct, lol

I had to look at a picture I shot of the 235 in my '51. :D

7. Voh

Voh

This is a '59 235 that is in my 1941 Sedan. It was currently using the front mount, bolted to the factory crossmember. I am looking at my options as far as lowering it and pondering the use of next generation factory crossmember ('49-'54) or the MII route.
    My objective is to get it lower, but more so the brakes, as I have little ones that will be riding along. Wasn't sure if i needed to incorporate the front mounts or if I should plan for the side mounts.

8. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

If I'm not mistaken,you can take off the part under the timing chain cover on the 41 and install it on the 59 motor to use the front motor mounts

9. melsfine39

melsfine39

OK, I'm using a 54 235 with a 2004R trans in my 48 GMC pickup, so I lost the mounts at the bell housing. I bought a universal chevy set and made these side mounts to work with the front motor mount and the trans mount. I also made them bolt in at the frame in case I or the next owner wants to put a V8 in at some point. Mel:D

Attached Files:

10. Voh

Voh

its currently on there. The motor was installed in the car, and the front mouts were in operation. I am considering going to a MII setup, thus all the talk about the side mount use.

I think bottom line, is that they can be used, if they lineup correctly.

11. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

My 47 Chev is using the front mount with a 235 and it has two mounts on the bellhousing. It really depends on what you are doing for a bellhousing/transmission mount.

12. Snarl

Snarl

Yes, go ahead and use the side mounts. Then you can do anything with the frontend and it will work. It will also work with whatever you decide to do regarding the bellhousing or transmission.

I would suggest changing the frontend before doing the motor mounts (or deal with them both at the same time), rather than doing the mounts first, as you want to make sure your oil pan will clear the crossmember, etc... and that the mounts won't interfere with what you decide to do for steering...

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Overall the side mounts are, in my opinion, superior to the front mounts found on Chevy sixes thru '51 as the older mounts under the timing cover are not very effective at controlling engine torque. I know there are some light duty mounts at the lower outboard portion of the bell housing for that purpose, but in my experience they are pretty flimsy.

As long as your side mounts are designed/built to avoid interference with steering column/drag link etc., I think it's the way to go.

Ray

14. Tone210

Tone210

I got a 235 with that same pattern that I'm trying to drop into my 54 chevy 210 w/original front end anyone know what mounts to use ?

15. Snarl

Snarl

most people modify the stock '52-54 engine mounts to work with the '58-62 bolt pattern.

16. Tone210

Tone210

Thanks snarl thats what I'm gonna do

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DING DING give the man a cigar. There you go. if you are still running the bellhousing mounts you are good to go with the original front mount.
    If you are running a later trans and using a trans mount you need the side mounts.

I drew up a set of mounts for the 292 going in my 48 last night that are right on the concept of what Melsfine39 showed the photos of and am thinking that they won't work with the MII crossmember that I have.

18. grharman

grharman

Hello Friends,
    I am in a quandry about what engine mount configuration to use in my '37 Oldsmobile. Currently it has a 235 Chevy Six (62 vintage) and a Chevy 3-Speed Trans. I am working on installing a T5 Trans instead, and I would like to improve the engine mounting at the same time.

Currently it uses a stock Center-Front Mount in conjunction with two on the lower corners of the Bellhousing. It also has a mount tied to a crossmember under the transmission. This setup does not adequately control engine rock or tilt under load.

I have some aftermarket frame mounts that bolt to the sides of the engine block about a third of the way back on the engine. I would like to use these to replace the front mount, but I'm concerned about the rear.

It seems to me that the engine would be over-restrained if I continued to use the Bellhousing Mounts and the Transmission Mount along with the two new front mounts, but it seems to be too big a span to just use the front two mounts in conjunction with a Transmission Mount, especially since the T5 has an Aluminum Case.

Would it be OK to leave the Transmission Mount off, leaving the Trans unsupported, and just use the two front and two Bellhousing mounts, or would a different configuration be better?

Thanks in advance for your advice,
    Glen in Gresham

19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It seems to me it depends on what type of bellhousing mounts are there now. As you likely know, the '62 235 six you have now (if it's a passenger car application) was 3 point mounted with the side mounts on the block and the one under the transmission. The more rearward the block side mounts, the less weight on the tranny mount and strain on the case that concerns you.

Since the block side mounts are at least a third of the way back, in my opinion, you would be okay in using them with a mount under the trans. Most applications of the T-5 used a similar setup. The T-5 case, though aluminum, looks pretty stout and was designed to be mounted in that manner. The key, IMO, is the location of the forward mounts, but you have that covered.

Photos would help in fully understanding your question. If, however, you have a 235 with the truck style bellhousing, that is a pretty hefty mount setup and could easily handle the weight of an unsupported T-5. But, since you mention that the engine doesn't seem to be well controlled to resist 'torque roll', I suspect you don't have the truck bell. I would think the block side mounts would solve that problem. Five mounting points does sound like overkill for your vehicle.......in summary, block side mounts and rear transmission mount should do the job.

Ray

20. 6cylindersovertexas

6cylindersovertexas

I ran across this post this evening. This post is a little over a year old and I am facing this same problem in trying to drop a 62 model Chevy 261 in my 37 Chevy pick up. Have any of you completed your plans for side motor mounts and if so, would anyone be willing to share pictures of their mounts with me for examples of how these mounts are made and installed and how they are working? I feel bolting them in is the way to go.
    I would appreciate it very much.
    Thank you in advance.
    Joe Fuchs
    [email protected]

21. mmelendez jr

mmelendez jr
    from So Cal

Hey Mel. Ive gotta do the same thing for a 51 Chevy truck: bought a 235 out if a 58 Delray. Are other things in the way when the mounts get welded into place? Just trying to avoid probs down the road. I bought the mou ts fron Jimenez Bros but see that i have to box the frame in now.

22. It looks like the pick-ups have a standard "C"section frame, whereas the sedans have the "tophat" type frame (already boxed). Does anyone make a weld-on side-engine mount for a sedan ('47)? I am in the process of installing a T700 behind a 235, and will have to use the side mounts and the rear trans mount.

23. Chassis Engineering had those mounts,....think the Roadster Shop bought them out...?

edit:...yup as below, Heidts bought out Chassis Engineering

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  24. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

HEIDT's bought out Chassis Engineering........

Ray