Register now to get rid of these ads!

chevy 1954 5 window chop it or leave it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SinastirSpeedShop, Oct 28, 2009.

1. I am just wondering what everyone thinks about pickups being chopped. I was messing around with a few photos and I just think the height of the door looks prefect with the height of the windows. Start cutting the windows starts looking funny makes the door look to long... If you have some pictures of nice chop jobs please post them.. Thank you

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Almost never chop a truck unless it's a 30's ear one. I think the only exception is a '62-6? Chevy truck and in that case you might want to section it too.

Anyways, a '54 looks good as is and would look great with some lowering and detailing.

3. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

You hit the nail on the head .

4. wvenfield

wvenfield

Not much else to add here.

5. That is what I was thinking. The height of the door panel and window is balance nicely... Thanks

6. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I wouldn't chop a 5 window pick up....but it's not mine.

7. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

I dont know..The 5 window that was on the cover of car craft in 54 or 53 I thought was pretty nicely done...

8. N8B

N8B

Are you really that old and shouldn't you be working?

I usually HATE chops on these trucks but one of the nicest AD trucks I have ever seen had a very subtle 2" or so chop. I think it also depends on how it is done. They tend to get very squatty looking if done incorrectly.

9. Big Nick

Big Nick

What he said

10. TOE

TOE

I'm another one that doesn't really like chopped trucks.

However a very subtle chop can look good. I think Cole Foster's 53 Chevy truck is a good example of this. Maybe someone has a pic of that truck they can post.

11. gafridge

gafridge

I think if it's more than 1 1/2 or 2 inches,they look way out of proportion,then again just my opinion,build how you want it.I would just lower it and drive it.Good luck.

12. hvychvy

hvychvy

I think they look nice as is.Do you have any pics of how your wanting to chop it?

13. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

SSHHHHHH!!!!! Im taking and unauthorized break....

I agree with the subtle chop..1 1/2 to 2 inches max...Anybody have any photos to post?

14. CraigKrage

CraigKrage
    from central IL

I didnt like the look. I wanted to fill in the back windows.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. How much was taken out of that cab?

16. Love'em lowered, hate them chopped, don't do it.

17. R Pope

R Pope

Can't cut those quarter windows, they are tempered glass. Plexi is just tacky. I'd fill 'em in, too.

18. CraigKrage

CraigKrage
    from central IL

5ish..... Yuck! I like 3 to 4 but not on a 5 window.

19. 68moparmike

68moparmike
    from DELAWARE

20. knuckelhead

knuckelhead
    from socal

21. knuckelhead

knuckelhead
    from socal

22. knuckelhead

knuckelhead
    from socal

23. domepiece

domepiece

one of my friend's has a chopped one. It's not a 5 window though. I think it looks good chopped.

5 windows are desirable enough I'm sure you could get someone with a 3 window cab to switch you out and probably even put some money on it. I wouldn't chop a 5 window.

I'll pst pics of my friends tomorrow.

24. atch

atch

personally i wouldn't chop a 5 window. oddly enough i was talking to a friend just today about this very thing. the cabs without the corner windows can look pretty good with a chop though.

i'll try to post up a pic of steve osborn's pu. steve was "weeds" on here before his passing last year. i took this pic a couple of years after he sold it. he didn't have the crappy wheel covers on it.

for those of you who recognize it in the background is the building at the frog follies where the meals, registration, etc. happen.

Attached Files:

25. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

Im not a fan of chopped pickups, only way they look decent is if they are a rather mild chop with a section.

26. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

IMHO, I wouldn't chop an AD truck....I like the original roof....BUT..... if I was to do it, I'd change it to a 3 window because the corner windows on the 5 take on an odd shape when chopped, and even stock, they don't line up with the back glass.....Also, I find that the box looks to long on the chopped trucks, so I'd probably shorten the box behind the rear fender to regain some over all proportion......Naaa.....I like the stock roof......

27. JMO, Keep it stock, I think Chevy got the proportions just right from the start!

In the end up,it's your truck,do what you want.

28. I am picking up the cab and all the other parts tomorrow morning... So I will have to see when I get it home.

29. Pretty much what everyone else said.....In my opinion I wouldn't chop it. That era of trucks does not look good chopped. 30's era trucks need a little haircut though...

30. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chopped or not, the 5 window is just odd looking IMO. Those corner windows look like cheapo travel trailer add-ons or at the very least a bad after thought. ADs most certainly can be chopped if done right but the 5 window is not a good choice for it. The problem with chopped ADs is that many have gone too far turning the glass in to mail slots. Add the fact that they get sectioned through the roof (quartered) to make up width and too much makes it loook like it was dropped on it's head too many times.