Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy 153 Adapter for Ford Model A Starter

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 31fords, Feb 27, 2020.

1. 31fords

31fords
    from SoCal

Hi All,
    I might be checking out a Chevy 153 engine for a Model A project and the seller stated that the old owner had an adapter that allowed him to use a Model A starter. Does anyone know if this might be an adapter that someone manufactures or is this a one off adapter that I would need to have made? Sounded like the block had also been modified. I will know more when I see the actual engine. Thank you for any information you can provide.

Denny

2. sdroadster

sdroadster

Any Chevy to early Ford transmission adapter I know of uses a 1960 era Chevy starter. Consider also Model A Fords were 6 volt, and the starter tooth match is totally wrong for a Chevy ring gear. I suspect your seller is not totally informed.

3. Please don't tell me he wants to run the Model A transmission also? I can't relate to what you are describing. I have been into these engines starting when I drove one to college in the sixties. My Avatar has one of the 181 cubic inch versions in it.

Charlie Stephens

LOU WELLS likes this.
  4. It has been a very long time but my recollection was with most of the adapters you needed the 1955 type Chevy starter.

Charlie Stephens

LOU WELLS likes this.

5. Just a wild thought. Any chance the engine is actually a Pinto engine? The most common adaption for Pinto engine forty years ago used the Model A starter. Does it say anything on the valve cover? Is it overhead cam? Be sure to post pictures. I think the Chevy engine is a good choice for many reasons but I consider the Pinto to be almost the worst choice. If I had it to do over I would use a slightly modified Model B engine, I must be getting old.

Charlie Stephens

IMG_8089.jpg

IMG_8092.jpg

LOU WELLS likes this.
  6. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

You Are Mixing Apples And Oranges Since The Adapter From "Iron Duke" To Early Ford Normally Uses A 1932-48 (etc) Transmission...The Starter Is 1955-62 Chevy V8...Carry On... 001.jpg