Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Chet Herbert Bonneville 1958

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by quidnunc, Aug 13, 2014.

1. quidnunc

quidnunc
    from pittsburgh

Does anyone have color photos or know what color the Chet Herbert car was that ran 3 chevy engines at Bonneville in 1958. The only pictures I have are b/w. Thanks.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. aircap

aircap

Have you asked the old salt dogs over on the forum of landracing.com?

3. The engine(s) in the picture appear to by Chryslers.

4. 177CX

177CX

In 1958 333ES had two Chryslers. In 1959 it had three Chevy small blocks. It was painted in Washington Blue and white. It was painted by my partner in 177B fuel roadster, Don Goodwin. Co-owner, Tom Herrmann and I still keep in touch

DON VANCE

Dean Lowe likes this.

5. 296ardun

296ardun

It did have 3 sbc's in '58, according to the November 1958 HRM, p. 75 (sorry, I don't have a scanner), Dave Ryder drove. It was overshadowed by Mickey Thompson's twin Chrysler that ran 294, but the Herbert car ran the second-fastest speed at 272 mph. Dave Ryder later died of burns from a sprint car accident at Sacramento.

But that's not what you asked, sorry, no color photos; the HRM photos were black-and-white.

6. quidnunc

quidnunc
    from pittsburgh

Thanks Don, that's what I was looking for, however excuse my ignorance, but is Washington Blue a color from a particular car manufacturer (Ford, Chevy, Chrysler) or a generic name for a dark blue? Do you think Tom Herrmann might have some color shots?

7. Washington Blue was a stock early Ford color..from the 30s..

8. 177CX

177CX

296ARDUN is correct. Twin Chryslers in 1957 and three SBCs in 1958. My mistake. The problem in 1957 was the coupling to the rear engine kept breaking. As I recall, it never completed a full run with both engines. Too bad, as there was much potential there. The car is usually referred to as Chet Herbert's but in fact, it was totally owned by Herrmann, Swain and Walker. Herb Swain dropped out before 1958.

9. quidnunc

quidnunc
    from pittsburgh

Thanks for the background Don. One of the problems trying to find references for the car was what do you search for, Herrmann-Swain-Walker or Chet Herbert streamliner? Was this the car that ended up with Ermie Immerso which he ran in 1959 as the 'Kraft Auto' car and again in 1961 as the 'Dean Van Lines' car? Do you think Tom Herrmann would have any pictures of his old car?

10. 296ardun

296ardun

I was looking through my collection of old Hot Rod Magazines, and by coincidence came across an article in the February 1959 issue on Don Vance's Dodge-powered Bonneville roadster. I wish I had a working scanner and could post it, but it is the same on in his avatar. If you have a copy, take a look at it, it defines "immaculate" in every way. I would guess that partner Don Goodwin painted it as well as he painted the Hermann, Swain, and Walker streamliner. I wondered if there has been a thread on it but searched and didn't fine one. Don, you must have pictures of it, would be great to see it here.

11. 177CX

177CX

177B #5006.jpg 177B #5007.jpg Thanks 296ardun. Our roadster was to have my 248 cu. in Ardun in it but I couldn't find a set of Hilborns for it so I bought the Dodge from our friend, Archie Ary. We didn't have time to paint it ourselves so I took it to Bill's Body Shop in Fullerton, CA. I lived in Brea at the time. It was painted on the Monday before Bonneville, the tarp installed on Tuesday and the lettering done that night. We went back to work on it and finally left for Wendover Saturday evening. We hadn't slept since Wednesday night. We finished the car at the motel and got through tech inspection on Wednesday. The first people to come look at the car were the Markley Brothers. We ran second to the Perry Brothers and never got off of straight alcohol. We broke a timing chain late Friday so went home. That was our 1958 try. I'll try to send some photo, if I can figure out how.

12. 177CX

177CX

While I'm at it, I'll comment on the push truck. It was Goodwin's (Don and his dad's) shop truck. It was a 1949 Ford (with 1952 hood and fenders) with a 1952 Chrysler Hemi in it. Before we went to Bonneville in 1959, we put a 1955 Pontiac in it. This was mainly because we kept pushing the cluster gear out the bottom of the transmission. We used the Pontiac mainly to get the hydromatic transmission. Big mistake! We later wished we had just put a Cad or LaSalle box in it. You can't beat Hemi power!

13. quidnunc

quidnunc
    from pittsburgh

Would that be the same Goodwin (Brake Service) that appeared on the front of the Herrmann-Swain-Walker streamliner?

14. 296ardun

296ardun

Don, thanks! These stories are out there, this is how it was in the '50s, lots of hard work for a trophy but it was worth it!

Archie Ary was from Colton, one of the founders of Colton Drag Strip (along with Charles "Scotty" Scott), ran a '36 Ford fuel coupe, later a radically chopped Crosley-bodied fuel coupe, and finally a series of fuel dragsters.

Interesting that you ran second to the Perry Boys using alcohol, the Perry Boys (also Dodge powered) loved to tip the can, someone recalled watching them pour almost straight nitro for a return run, here is a picture of them working on the engine.

1212rc-08-z+december-2012-jewels-from-the-archive+.jpg

15. 177CX

177CX

Yes quidnunc, that's the same Goodwins Brake Service. It was located @ 1510 W. Century Ave. in Los Angeles. Don painted it and crewed on it at Bonneville in 1957. Don and I met in early 1954 while crewing a B-29 at Edwards AFB. Don was one of the most talented people I ever met. He died in 1960. I tried running El Mirage after his death and it just wasn't the same.
    Tom Herrmann worked with Jud Philips for many years and was co-crew chief when they won Indy in 1968 with Bobby Unser driving. He was known in USAC as "Little Red".
    Ermie Immerso got the 333ES chassis from Red but other than the body panels I don't know how much he used.

16. quidnunc

quidnunc
    from pittsburgh

Was your roadster painted the same 'Washington Blue' as the streamliner?

17. 177CX

177CX

My roadster was painted black using Dupont Dulux enamel. The good stuff you can't use anymore. Another triumph by the environmentalists! The interior was in white Rustoleum. Again, the good old stuff that had fish oil in it that really worked to keep the rust out.