Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chet Herbert’s Beast III Streamliner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Checkerwagon, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

A nice write-up regarding the Beast, with pictures, of the its display at Pebble Beach. Yes, there are pictures and a decent history of the man, Chet Herbert.

http://tinyurl.com/2ade5n9

For those of you who know the story of Chet Herbert, you realize that his achievements were not only significant but substantially more difficult than (most) of ours.
    If by chance you don't know much about Chet, do yourself a favor, take the time to learn about him. You will be glad that you did.
    I don't have a long list of heroes yet Chet has a permanent place on my list.

All the best,
    Dale K
    Cleveland OH

2. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Cool story and a great car

3. I was reading that the other day great article and great it will be honored on the green at Pebble Beach I plan to take lots of pics when I see it in August.

4. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

That car now features a 1951 Chrysler 331 hemi engine from the Poverty Flats stash via Hamber prototypedesignflauz right here in KS. We think it is just awesome.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010

5. customcory

customcory

Thats the one he had a big scale model of so he could wind tunnel test it . I would LOVE to know if the model still exists somewhere. It would be neat to have now.:D

6. Fogger

Fogger

Dale, You are absolutely correct stating that Chet Herbert was and incredible person. When I was 20, I built a '55 Chevy gasser and visited Chet in his shop in Orange County. He spent quite a bit of time teaching me how to degree a cam. I bought one of his #70 rollers for my 327 small block. The whole system worked as he had advertised. He even let me use his valve spring pocket cutter in his parking lot so the triple springs would fit. Not only was he a terrific engineer but a great teacher. Sure didn't let his physical state slow him down. Glad to see the Beast III restored.

7. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

...got to see this car in person at Crouse's shop last year...really cool. Next to it was a huge GMC engine, twin supercharged with hand made manifolds and other parts that they used to set the diesel record with. It made gobs of torque and they used some crazy tire size/gear ratio that moved the car something like 12 feet for every revolution of the engine.....

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  8. Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  9. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

Thanks for the replies and the insight about Chet and the Beast, would love to hear more.
    Dale K
    Cleveland

10. belair

belair

What's the emblem by the front tire?

11. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

Herbert roller lifter on a cam lobe........I think.

12. promachine

promachine
    from chico ca.

Chet was one of the most understated geneus's of his time and all the way up till his passing. Still designing new devices every single day. One of my heros for sure.
    A great man, will always miss him.

13. swazzie

swazzie

yup!

14. I feel I'm lucky beyond words, to have an original Chet Herbert #7 Roller Cam in my DeSoto Hemi. The man was a genius...

15. rexrogers

rexrogers