Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Checking My Flathead Water Temp

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Michael Crown, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Michael Crown

Michael Crown

Could use some experienced opinion on my contemplated strategy for checking the water temp on my 59A. First, I plan to use two Moon direct mount water temp gauges, one on each bank in the hole by the water outlet. My thinking is that I can't get much more accurate than that for actual temp. Can't see those from the cockpit though, so I was planning to put an electric temp sender in the drain hole of my radiator and connect that to the SW electric unit I have in my dash. My concern is that the electric sender is on the "cool" side of the radiator and won't be a good reading. Thoughts?

2. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Do your heads have threaded ports on each side of radiator outlet? If they do use one for your Moon gauges and the other for a mechanical temp gauge inside cockpit. Some use two electric senders with one gauge having a double pole toggle switch to read both heads with one gauge. What I usually find is that most gauges are not that accurate and use a thermal hand held laser to get proper readings. Don't bother with radiator readings as they are too erratic.

Michael Crown likes this.
  3. Michael Crown

Michael Crown

Only one port per head. Could do one direct and one in gauge, but have heard that the two banks are often different.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Michael Crown

Michael Crown

Double checked, and one head is drilled with two ports. So, that's perfect. Thanks @AngleDrive!

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I have a mechanical gauge in one head outlet, which I have tested for accuracy in boiling water. I have always found the laser gauge pointed at the head to read about 20 degrees lower. Maybe that makes sense as the metal cools the water? Just my experience.