Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Checker Board Firewalls....Let's See Some.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Sorry U-235, I lost track of this post and didn't give you an answer. The Grill in my Green 51 was cut in half dead center to correct the side to side angle and work better with the Hood pitch. Then each side was split horizontally making 4 pieces out of it. I then changed the Crest of each side section to match the 49 Bezels as well as lengthened each side. I used to know the number but it slips me today. Seems like around 4" per side. No small undertaking being it's actually a cone, not just a radi. If you look close at the Stock center piece you can see the change in pitch from the stock angle. Lot's going on there not seen by most, in fact by any as of yet. And your right, the 50 and 51 signal housings do not fully cover the end of a stock Pontiac grill bar so you either add something or have a window at the top end. When you just Squeeze the Pontiac grill ends into the Ford signal housings it tilts the center up and to me just looks Stupid. I wasn't willing to settle for that. The articles in the Old Mag's made it sound simple. Then you'd see one and think "They should have read the article" and they had. They just didn't fit as expected.

2. Found the thread - here's the firewall on my 31 Chevy. Painted the whole thing white, taped off the whole wall and cut the vertical lines/squares out and painted black.
    IMG_6017.JPG

IMG_6026.JPG

Cosmo49 likes this.
  3. ghalperin

ghalperin

Looks great. Please post the photo after everything is put back together.

4. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

"Far better to dare mighty things… though checkerboarded by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Anonymous

I really dig the checkerboards, keep them coming. Thank y'all for the how-to's of how you did it.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.