Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Check out this weird '34 Woodie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by halibrandsteve, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Found this car for sale in Eastern Canada - clearly it is a '34 Ford from the cowl forward but check out the wooden body...much curvier than a factory '34. All steel turret top and looks like an aftermarket visor (has a GM feel to it to me). I assume this would be a coachbuild of some sort? Doesn't look like it's recently built either...

Kind of cool - what do you guys think??

34 Woodie 01.JPG 34 Woodie 02.JPG 34 Woodie 03.JPG

Steve

kidcampbell71 and kiwijeff like this.
  2. Cool car. I am going to guess it was coach built or is a modern conversion. Either way it would make one bad to the bone cruiser.

3. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Very odd, could be a coach built body or homemade who knows? Even the rear doors have been reversed, the '34 came stock with "suicide" doors front and back. Does the steel roof look like it was built by a professional shop and does the wood look old? With the visor it almost looks European. What kind of motor and brakes? The interior looks new.

4. Looks legit to me but what do I know...

5. I've only seen pics online (it's on the other side of the country from me), but the roof appears to be one piece. Wood looks old and I never even noticed the rear doors not being suicided - good eye! Apparently it has a flathead converted to 12V. Brakes I'm not sure.

Steve

6. alchemy

alchemy

The cowl is a common '34 passenger, not the square-top windshield like the factory woodie would use.

7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Now we understand why some folks hate sun visors.

8. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

alchemy, I missed the top of the windshield. I wonder if it could be a sedan or delivery that has been converted to a "Woodie".

9. I saw it on ebay, did you buy it? What kind of drive train does it have? Tim

10. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Tim, just saw it on E-Bay, $69,750, WOW.

11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Thats exactly what I thought and when I scrolled down you had the same thought.

12. 66gmc

66gmc

interesting, does anyone else notice the front fenders and running boards are different too.

13. I like it. I could do without the visor though. But I think its uniquely cool.

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

more like a Chevy Suburban roof

15. It looks a bit like a Hercules conversion.Some of the early wood estate wagons had some really ungainly proportions. I have a book on them and there are a couple that look like they are angle chopped just in the front passenger area. Hardly an expert on them(or anything else) but I think it is an original. Have to dig out my woodie book now.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. manyolcars

manyolcars

The roof looks like 1940s

17. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Definitely a later model 40's rear graft going by general roof shape and crown. Coach built?

18. scratch

scratch

Looks very european to me.

19. While it is a neat car in it's own right; to me it looks kind of mixed up: older style-wise in the front and newer in the back.

20. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

21. slowmotion

slowmotion

That was my first thought too.

22. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say built well after it's time period. There was no full top technology commonly used until 37-8. Also the seats are really modern in design and function, like those "me too" street rod sets. Not having a full set of pics to examine, these are what jump out at me. I'd bet a good breakfast it's not "real", as in some coachbuilt 34 custom wagon real. Just sayin...

23. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I agree on the Suburban roof and with Rich that the stock 34 front and later model roof doesn't hit the mark.
    Bet it was home built in 50's-early 60's, likely from a 4 dr. Sedan.
    While the craftsmanship is good, the woodwork is very ho-hum. The mismatched colors on the left rear wheel well trim, etc.
    A+ for effort but overall just doesn't work. Reminds me of some Customs where the builder definitely has skills and put a zillion hours into the car, but the end result misses the target.
    $70,000 is nuts. Maybe half that.

24. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I wonder if the "B" pillar is reinforce, due to the fact both side doors are hinge off of it? Another thought would be if this is a Canada built Ford. I would not be surprise if some kid back in the 50's built this in a high school wood shop---HA HA.

25. pitman

pitman

Carbon reinforced door-posts!
    I'd agree w/Hot Rods that the craftsmanship/vision was good.