Register now to get rid of these ads!

check out the new project, 42 chevy pu

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowriding 'lane, Jun 17, 2006.

1. lowriding 'lane

lowriding 'lane

Hey guys,
    Well i've been looking around for a while for a pickup cab for a new project i wanted to start on, and finally went and picked one up today. It's a 42 chevy, needs a lot of lovin but it should be a fun build. Me and my little brother are going to be working on it, he's 12 and wants to learn more about building cars, he helped me with my fairlane but he's going to be more involved in this one. We're planning on running a 425 nailhead that we've been rebuilding, but we also have a 68 chevy c10 frame with a 350 and a 4 speed that we're going to put it on for now and swap the 425 in when we finish it. I'll keep the thread updated with progress pics. And i have the hood, fenders, grille, and running boards that we're not going to use, if someone from around ct wants them let me know, you can have em!
    Here it is now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and we're hoping to build it the same style kind of like this truck, i'm not sure if it's someone on the board's or not:
    [​IMG]

2. Zumo

Zumo

Nice. My father had a 46 growing up. I want to build one one day and the way you're plannin looks like the way to go.

3. Darby

Darby

Looks like most of the big parts are there! I'm working on a '39/'42 right now, so if you need any parts, info, etc--lemme know. I know where a few things are, though it sounds like you don't need much more than a cab for what you're going to do!

4. LUCIFR

LUCIFR
    from Seattle

good score I just picked up a 38 also if you need parts let me know we have a few chev shops up here in the nw

5. LUCIFR

LUCIFR
    from Seattle

why does it say I posted this

6. MyOldBuick

MyOldBuick

These trucks have a lot of history. The 41 Chevy was my great-grandfather's truck, my dad and uncle learned to drive with it. From what I understand the running boards were a victim from trips thru the woods. The 61 Chevy (Corvair ramp-side) was my dad's truck and in 1986 or so it was restored and put back on the road and my grandfather drove it. Kind of neat to have a bookend of different years represented.

Attached Files:

7. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

You and I are in the same boat! I hauled this '38? home a few weeks ago with a '40 title that the fella had to go with it. I'm using a custom model A frame built to original specs from flat plate rather than stampings. So far I've found a '57 9 inch for the rear and a '94 T-56 6 speed transmission. I expect to stretch the frame with a rear sub frame to accomodate a 4 to 5 foot bed and would like to use quarter eliptical springs on all four corners.
    I may have an interest in the grill parts if you are willing to ship. Could you put up any pics? Thanks in advance!

8. lowriding 'lane

lowriding 'lane

thanks for all the replies guys, darby and lucifr, i do need a few parts, the normal stuff that rusts away like windshield frame, door hinges, stuff like that, you know any good places that sells parts for these trucks? lemme know. myoldbuick, that's a cool picture and good to know about the history of the trucks in your family. Yesterday i flipped it onto it's nose, and today we're going to get working on fixing the floor, here's a picture how it is now, should be fun
    [​IMG]

scottybacus and anyone else that might be interested in the body parts,
    i went out and snapped a few pictures of what i have, do want just the grille parts? i'd rather not ship stuff since these things are pretty big and heavy and it'd be kind of a hassle and not that cheap, i'd rather someone around the area that needs a whole front end and running boards to just come take it away! anyway here's the pics
    front
    [​IMG]

grille
    [​IMG]

door panels
    [​IMG]

hood
    [​IMG]

and running boards
    [​IMG]

9. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I've got a bunch of pieces that used to look like a '46 Chevy P/U sitting in storage. Sentimental reasons keep me paying a monthly storage fee on it. One day it'll get completed (he said hopefully)...

10. Darby

Darby

Chevies of the Forties, Jim Carter Classic Trucks, and Bowtie Bits have all done well by me for repop stuff. I've bought more from the first two than the last. I've also bought used stuff from Jim Carter (they even put some on Ebay under the user name phlobe47), and it's been as-described, though the Ebay auctions get pretty high sometimes.

Windshield frames go for big money on the 'bay--you're best off looking for one locally, or doing the glued-in windshield option. I don't really like the glued-in ones, but it's an easy way out, and if your windshield crank-out is good, you can sell it for $75 or more to somebody that needs it.

I don't have a good windshield frame or door hinges--sorry. I picked up a spare door recently, but the hinges had been sliced in half with a cut-off wheel.

11. dt50chev

dt50chev

Just my .02 You may want to rethink using the c-10 frame. It will look like crap.

12. lowriding 'lane

lowriding 'lane

thanks for the replies guys,
    well i've been working the past couple days on the floor with my little brother, and we have the back half. the front part of the subframe for the floor was still good, so we used some angle iron off of those to make the frame for the floor and filled it in with 16 ga. i still have to finish welding it up but here's a picture
    [​IMG]

darby, i have jim carter and chevs of the 40s bookmarked, thanks for the heads up on bowtie bits, and on that name for ebay i'll keep my eye out. You're right, all the windshield frames i've seen are crazy expensive, but i have a lead on another body, i'm going to go take a look and see how the windshield frame and hinges are on that before i buy em new.

dt50chevy, how come you think the c10 frame will look like crap? It's skinny enough to fit inside the body, and you're only going to see the front 4 or 5 feet, i'm ditching the ifs, and moving the rear axle forward probably around a foot. i'm thinking that i'll try it out and if it looks stupid, then i'll go with something else, i mean i figured i'd give it a try since the price was right for it (best price of all, FREE), i'll keep updated pictures when i get working on the frame in the next few days. Thanks a lot for reading guys

13. lowriding 'lane

lowriding 'lane

alright so it's been a while since i've updated this thread, because i've been pretty busy and have had a bunch of boring stuff to do to the truck before i could get anything cool done, i know you guys know the drill. But, i finally got the c10 body off of it's frame and stripped all the junk off that we're not going to need, and got the 42 on there. For now it's set on blocks at around the height we want it at, monday i should be getting in my spring and perches and stuff for my front end so i can make up the new frame horns and crossmember and everything and get the front ride height all set. After we have that set, the back of the frame is cut and ready to get shortened and stepped, once we figure out the actual frame height that we're going to run. And once the frame is set, we're planning on doing a 6" channel and probably about a 7" chop, which would put the roof at about 53". So, here's a few pictures of how it is now, sorry they're not great but the garage is a little crowded.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

oh and of course we suicided the doors :)

[​IMG]

that's it for now, hopefully in the next week or two we'll get the front end set up and channel it, i'll let you guys know how it goes.