Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cheapo under the floor brake pedal kit- what the?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oneratfink57, Apr 2, 2017.

1. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Hey guys. I recently bought a under the floor pedal assembly from some cheap hotrod place off E to the BAY for my 37 chevy

Well I figured for $100 with a master cylinder and residual valves, it would need a little modification. But it came with a messed up bag of hardware which I think all of which is useless. There's no hardware to bolt the pedal to the mount, none of the bolts are long enough to pass through the frame of the car, and no instructions are available for this kit. To top it all off it came with a spacer and a weld bung that for the life of me I can't figure out. I tried emailing them, but no real support was given.

I'm hoping one of you gents have bought one of these kits before and could offer some time saving info

Any idea what the circled pieces of hardware are for?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the end of the day I can wait to see once I start actually assembling it and figure it out then, but why not ask some HAMBERS!?!?

Oh and if you look closely you can tell the assembly is actually photoshopped lol which should of been my first warning!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Just a guess: a Hoffman Group company?

hotrodharry2, RICH B and oneratfink57 like this.
  3. BJR

BJR

Brakes are the LAST place I would try to save money on!

4. badshifter

badshifter

The three circled parts are so you can gauge your distance to the trashcan when you throw that piece of junk away.
    You think once it's installed and in use it's going to get better?

oneratfink57 likes this.

5. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

It is likely intended to fit a number of different vehicles and the spacers,adaptors etc are designed to allow this.Like any "universal" part it doesnt really fit anything but can probably be made to fit a bunch of different cars.Put it on and do what you have to do to make it work.BJR IS RIGHT!!!

BJR and oneratfink57 like this.
  6. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Bandit Billy and '51 Norm like this.
  7. BJR

BJR

You should have regretted buying it, not posting it. Now cut your losses and don't use it. Get a good one. It will be much cheaper and safer in the long run.

Kustomline54 likes this.
  8. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

oneratfink57 likes this.
  9. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

That's where I bought it from was johnny law. They told me there were no instructions available

10. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Well, look at the speedway instructions because I think the Hoffman kit is a copy.

oneratfink57 likes this.
  11. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

I just took a look at the 37 frame mount kit off speedway, and found where the small spacer goes, but the weld bung is beyond me. I'll chalk it up to it being a cheapo setup and just piece together my own hardware!

[​IMG]

12. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Yeah, replace all that hardware for sure.

oneratfink57 likes this.
  13. Gotta watch the eBay specials like a hawk. Most are repops of legit parts and there's no expertise to back it up. Once you get in trouble, there's no way out without modifying it or digging up new hardware.

patmanta and oneratfink57 like this.
  14. The weld bung is problably so you can weld it on to the pedal where the pedal pad goes so it just screws in. One thing to keep in mind, is that even with all the work you'll have to do to try and make that set up work there is no guarantee that it will at all. I used an under floor brake pedal kit for my 51 Chevy. It was right at 100 bucks, it was from MBM brakes. Which I had seen ads for in rod and custom and never heard anything bad about. I put in it in my chevy and the dam thing would not stop, at all. It would slow down but you had a hell of a time getting it to stop. No air in the lines, just not enough pressure. The ratio was all off. I used all the same master cylinder and booster and everthing, except the pedal. I used and under dash pedal kit from Walton Fab. Holly shit! It stops! and it stops hard. Ill never try to use a cheap set up again.

15. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

johnny law is a part of the Hoffman group , I bought an emergency brake cable kit off the bay from them , they sent me a universal power window cable kit ? I filed with PP for a refund asap , went around with em shipped the part back and they agreed oh it was in the wrong bin want to order the correct one ? told em no thanks I had bought it from another vendor ,

oneratfink57 likes this.
  16. I'd just send it back and get something somewhere else that fits the way it should and then works like it should.

oneratfink57 and olscrounger like this.
  17. The one I used on my 29 was a similar kit which I had to make several modifications to in order to get it to work properly. Modified the pedal to get it to slide through the floor and return, etc. etc.. Bottom line is most of those parts are going to require some mods to get them to work. I always figure the kit out of the box is a starting point, the rest is up to you. 001350.jpg

oneratfink57 likes this.
  18. 54vicky

54vicky

cheap and function are not something you would expect.it is known as an oxymoron.

Bomb likes this.
  19. ems customer service

ems customer service

so how much money did you save

20. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

21. southcross2631

southcross2631

Universal means it doesn't fit anything and its up to your engineering skills to make it fit.
    I think I saw that same kit at Dollar General on their discontinued aisle.

oneratfink57 likes this.
  22. Oh the simplicity o_O of mechanical brakes.

23. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Yeah I was prepared on making this work from the get go, I just didn't understand why they would send me a bunch of in necessary hardware lol

24. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Don't know if you have the original pedal assembly, but if you do it can be used nicely with a brake booster and a remote master cylinder.
    If you take the end off the '37 M/C, you can run a rod right thru it and put the M/C under the floor in front of the rear seat. The power brake booster fits up inside a hump in the original floor pan, just under the front seat. I did this with a stick transmission but had to run the rod along side the cylinder to get the clutch linkage lined up. With an automatic, it should be pretty easy.
    I know you are making your own floor pans, but it would be pretty easy to put in a hump.

25. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Unfortunately I do not have the original pedal assembly, but that's good info!