Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chassis design. Can somebody check me?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by george.barnes.754, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Then move the other end of the spring, axle's spring hanger, move it closer to the ground
    Or find another spring set up.
    Perhaps wheels that fit where they are supposed to, what wheels and tires need to be moved 8" so the rear doors open???

knifefighter likes this.
  2. lake_harley

lake_harley

"I am going to use 7.50-16 on the back and 5.00-16 on the front which should give me a 3.3" rubber rake and front crossmember will be leaned back to compensate. "

Considering all the other discussion this is a minor consideration......

I'm guessing the 3.3" is the difference of the diameter of the two tires? It will only give you 1/2 of that amount of "rubber rake" since the position of the axle to the ground is at the center of the tire, not the top. So your rubber rake will be a theoretical 1.65"

Lynn

knifefighter likes this.
  3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

you know this is Stanley cup playoff season...
    asking to be "checked" might involve more than you bargained for... rock on !

WillyKJr and knifefighter like this.
  4. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

What are you building? Can we see some pics of the mock up?
    These cars are all very simple in design and layout...and usually look best if the simple and clean look remains.

knifefighter likes this.
  5. The offset is the product of using that 37-38 banjo with the hangers in front. Pushes the rear back about 8" according to my tape measure. I think a different spring setup that will set the car closer to the ground is gonna be my fix.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

knifefighter likes this.
  6. 3.3" is half the height difference between the 2 tire sizes. A 32.6" rear and a 25" front. Came to 6.6" divided by 2 to get rubber rake.

knifefighter likes this.
  7. There are so many ways to get ground profile. I think that's what your trying to get and not looking at all your options. Here's a shot of my 30 Roadster. It runs 750-16 on the rear and are 31" tall. The bottom of my body is 10-1/2" off the ground and the front corner of the Firewall is 8-1/2" off the ground. Her's the kicker. Banjo rear axle, Model A rear axle spring and absolutly flat frame rails front to back as in NO Kick at all and a 3" dropped front axle. Just think where this would sit with a kick like your thinking. Now I don't have a T Touring to go measure but I just have a feeling your correct in thinking you might have screwed up something in your numbers.
    The Wizzard
    20151023_094028.jpg

8. Is it an A banjo or the later style with the spring mounts in back (or front in my case since I flipped it)? Here in a bit if I can get a break in the rain I'll get outside and get a few photos of why I need to kick the rear back some. With the 7.50s on (granted I don't have them in hand yet, I made some plywood "mockup wheels", albeit square, for the front and the rear) I won't be able to use my rear doors, which is really important when you have a kiddo that wants to ride in the car. With the axle in the stock locarion it's simply too far forward. And when I say I am going to have to notch the body for banjo clearance I literally mean I am going to have to cut a rectangle out of the back panel and about half is going to stick out, and still ought to make openin that back door and getting in and out a little tight, but doable.

knifefighter likes this.
  9. The rear Axle is a 36 with spring behind. With a Touring you will be surprised how unimportant the rear doors may be. 31" tall tires are really Tall. They actually look a little silly on my Roadster and will not be what I run once done for that reason. Tin work is part of building any Hot Rod. Maybe some rear door work would be a better way to go if you must have them open. Remember, they don't stay closed very well even on there best day.
    The Wizzard

knifefighter likes this.
  10. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Hey----I"M on board with Alchemy------Build a mock up frame with 2x4 wood. It works!!! When I built my first track roadster I built a mock up frame off my frame drawings and found ALL Kinds of things that would not fit. I laid the glass 23 body on the frame and found the rear kick up was to much into the body. Sat in it and found a better way to modify the frame to actually be almost comfortable in it. Mocked up the dropped axle to the frame and and the rear frame perch and rear end. With the rear deck in place, tires in place, the side profile was AWFUL!! Wound up shortening the wheel base 8". A lot of other clearance problems and BETTER IDEAS came a bout by using that 2x4 frame. TRY IT, YOU'LL LIKE IT BILL

11. That's actually going to be my next step, but I'm trying to get a blueprint first. Mock up frame will be almost all wood, except the front crossmember, kinda have to use that as my front spring will be recessed into it.

knifefighter likes this.
  12. lake_harley

lake_harley

I stand corrected. I didn't realize there was 6.6" in diameter difference between the two sizes you listed. My apology.

Lynn

knifefighter likes this.
  13. Salright.

Atwater Mike and knifefighter like this.
  14. Stupid question, but a Model A front crossmember should be leaned back 7 degrees from vertical right?

knifefighter likes this.
  15. Where are you putting the gas tank?

knifefighter likes this.
  16. Haven't figured that one out yet.

knifefighter likes this.
  17. clem

clem

Not stupid at all.
    Top/flat part of cross member should be 7 degrees for castor.
    5 degrees to 10 degrees is probably the variance, but 7 degrees seems to be the most recommended.
    I never leaned mine back and the spring was binding.
    I have fixed it now.

18. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Some after market front cross members have the 7 degrees built in or you could use spring perches that swivel. You do realize that if you use a 7 degree cross member, your frame needs to set level at ride height to get 7 Degrees caster and not have spring bind.

19. Now let me ask you this, I have 3" of rubber rake, do I need to compensate for this in my crossmember lean?

20. alchemy

alchemy

Yes. When setting up the front axle, the crossmember and axle need to be at the actual ride heights to allow you to set the caster.

21. Better to think about tank location now, not later. There's not much room in a T Touring and a tank is kinda big & heavy, affecting weight distribution, seating position, and safety.

22. I'm kinda thonking abpit a spun aluminum tank and mounting it in front of the grill.

23. How many gallons are you thinking you need, 3-4 or 5?
    The Wizzard

24. I'm thinking a 10" tank the widthe of the rails. Should give me about 9ish IIRC when I did the math.

25. Did you figure in 6.2 lbs per gallon? and the sheer size of a 10 gallon can?
    The Wizzard

lurker mick and Just Gary like this.
  26. 12x20" tank holds 11.49 gallons. So loosing 2" in diameter I shoukd still be right at 9.5 gallons.

27. This is going to be in front of the Rad and 62 lbs. sitting on the short little frame horns? Once you get your 2x4 frame going on fold up a cardboard box the size you want and sit it there to get a good visual.
    The Wizzard

Just Gary likes this.
  28. I have some 12" diameter BBQ grille I built that is close to the same length. I'll pribably just set that in there to make life easy.

29. This will end up being a hand built tank?

30. Yup. Pribavly stainless steel. I'm a pipe wekder by trade so wekding 2 caps on the end if a piece is no big stretch for me.