Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chaparral Wing Opening in Midland

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HillBillytheKid, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Hey, I don't know if anyone's interested in Jim Hall's cars in here, but I thought yall might wanna know just in case you find yourself in Midland, TX near the Petroleum Museum. Looks like they'll have seven of his cars on display...it opens April 15-17.

Here's a link.

http://www.petroleummuseum.org/Chaparral/Chaparralhome.html

2. himmelberg

himmelberg

It might be the only thing to effect a second visit to the place... seen it once. Jim Hall... pretty cool. FYI, dateline, Midland. They broke ground today on an 1/8 mile dragstrip nearby. Don't know if this would bring anyone out here to the desert, but I wouldn't mind seeing it work. himmelberg

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hey, I grew up in Midland... I actually kind of like the place...

As for the 1/8 mile strip, I don't get that - why build an 1/8th mile track in the middle of the friggin desert where realestate is cheaper than dirt! Penwell forever!

4. himmelberg

himmelberg

Midland is a nice place... the museum is alright too... but one visit is enough. I'm not from around here. Don't get the oil thing.
    Don't get the 1/8th mile stuff either. It's an IHRA track, if that means anything. Penwell!
    h

5. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

I might have to check that out. got family in midland haven't been there since my grandmother passed away though.

6. disastron13

disastron13

Jim Hall was an amazin genius, anyone who builds cars can learn a huge amount from his work.
    I wonder if he started out with an ol Ford?

7. CrazyDaddy

CrazyDaddy
    from Austin TX

I lived in Midland in the early 80's, contract with Gulf Oil. A buddy of mine and I went to Hall's road course outside of town, and tried to get the mechanics to let us go for a spin. Smart guys; they said no. But, they did throw us a broken part. It was a turbocharger blade. If you know Indy history, it's the part that caused Hall to lose the race, forgot the year (70's) and driver.