Register now to get rid of these ads!

changing 10 bolt gears

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by goldflake, Jul 25, 2008.

1. goldflake

goldflake

I have a 1975 nova 6 cylinder chevy 10 bolt rear end in my hot rod..the rear end is a junk yard buy, I think the gears are 3.07...i want to change to gears, somthing like 3.50 so that i can get all my motor has...I still can do a kick ass burnout but i want more.....any suggestions on what vehicle i can get gears to fit the 10 bolt rearend and the year? Beer budget:D

2. Moloko

Moloko

That should be an 8.5'' 10 bolt, but some did use a 7.5''. You need to figure out what's in your car. With that in mind, any GM with one of those rears ;)

8.5's were in mid 70's intermediates, I believe the truck 10 bolts are different (maybe someone will know for sure?), 7.5's are in 80's and newer S10's, Camaro's, G-body's, etc.

3. goldflake

goldflake

yea the kicker is that the rearend was pulled form a 1975 nova and it has no number tab....so i cant know for sure, unless there is another way to tell?

4. If you want some whine with that gear, search up a set of 3.42 gears from a Chevy 1/2 ton 10 bolt. Used gears into another housing will usually whine, bitch and moan because it's hard to get the setup exactly the way it was.

5. goldflake

goldflake

yea so i heard, do you think its better to just go through summit and get new gears?

6. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

You need to do the following-
    First, ID the rearend to make sure it's not an 8.2 or even a 7.5
    Second, pull the cover and verify the gear ratio you got. Also inspect the internals to verify you aren't looking for a carrier too.
    Third, do the math to figure out cruise RPM differences with available ratios so that you're making an educated decision.
    Fourth, look in aftermarket catalogs to understand carrier differences. Often somewhere in the upper 3.xx range the carrier changes to accept a different thickness of ring gear. Make sure you're getting a compatible gear for your carrier.

You've got some reading ahead. Not a difficult job, but can be time consuming (especially the first time) and requires a couple quasi-specialty tools. good luck

7. Goldflake, PM sent. The best way to ID this particular application is by pulling the pinion yoke and counting the splines. It could be a smaller 8.2 or more standard 8.5.
    Gear ratio wise, 3.08 at deeper all use the same carrier and ring gear thickness.
    I sell light stuff like this for a living.

8. goldflake

goldflake

ok sounds cool sounds good i will get ti work on both of thats this weekend...thanks guys.