Register now to get rid of these ads!

Changes at R&C...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 1, 2009.

1. I happen to know that "A-hole" as you so elequently put it and he is one of the nicest guys in this industry and that whole situation got blown out of proportion from my point of view. I'm not sure it was even worth an editorial comment. It must have just gotten under Kevin's skin a bit and that is unfortunate.
    I doubt that is what got him fired as I'm pretty sure the car owner hadn't mentioned the disagreement to anyone else in the company, at least not from what he told me on the same day Kevin was let go. If management didn't like the tone of the editorial then that is unfortunate but I really doubt this had much to do with it.

And calling someone names or placing blame on someone else when you have no idea what transpired is really childish.

2. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After I sold my '62 SWB my sub ended, did you ever finish that gold '73 Chevy?

3. RF

RF

Traded it for a '47 Fleetline and a '72 C-10...but I miss Cheech (the suede gold '75 Cheyenne) more than ever! Thanks for reminding me, El C...my day "was" starting out on a good note!

4. James66g

James66g

Man I am hella bummed but relived at the same time!? I was bummed when Rizzo got shuffled as I credit him with kickin the rudder in the right direction over at R&C before they moved Kevin over I started talking with Rizzo about publishing an article of mine and then was in an accident while recovering they moved over Kevin and He was a super cool guy. I really enjoyed Kevins editorials and the direction he kept the mag headed and the personal this is were I am at now tone to his editorials. To fire a guy that was making the mag great with a new kid and a house being remodeled in this economy.....WTF serious douchebaggery!! I wish him nothing but the best maybe he will start his own deal like street trucks mag but for customs? I will always be thankful for Kevin for publishing my first Tech article (I hope I can write a few more) To be included with the Hollywood hot rods respect tradition McPails 56 and the Hirohata bird designs what Talk a bout a good month!.....Ill never forget handing that issue to my dad and having him flip through to see my name I cant explain what that felt like or meant to me.

Mr Fortier I loved Custom Rodder when they started doing the customs with big wheels and air bags!?! I was dieing for that! I loved the blending of pro touring and the evolution of mini truck vdub owners in the hobby moving to classics, showing innovation and evolution of what a custom built today could be was sweet I was really looking for you to start stealing buisness from lowrider! But I dunno if that stuff belongs in R&C? As bummed as I am for kevin and wish him Nothing but the best! I am happy for you Rob relieved they handed it to a guy we can trust and am excited at the direction you might take. Good luck Kevin and thanks again man! I know you wont fuck up Rob but watch your back man swimmin with sharks over there!

5. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Me 2 and if ryan says he's a good guy....

6. Good luck to Kevin and congrats to Rob...been a longtime subscriber and in the last few years R&C has been getting better and better...loved Rob's work with Custom Rodder and anxious to see what he does with R&C.

7. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Well, I did say "IF", this being the case, even if "if" applies, then yea, I am still over the top about the "a-hole" statement.

None the less, I have to think,,,, if I was bitching about an edditor to his employers tothe point where this edditor got fired for not giving my car the "attention it deserved", I would have to say that at the least, my actions might be considered "asshole-ish" .......

So, I ammend my statement,,,, IF a person colplaining because their car did not get the coverage he thought his car deserved, ended up getting this edditor fired, I kind of think this was at least a little ass-holeish and/or crybaby-ish thing to do...

AND,,, SOMETIMES even nice guys can act ASS-HOLISH.... There are plenty of times when I am an "a-hole" myself.... ask anyone who knows me... :D

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  8. Southfork

Southfork

R&C has been the Best ever under kevin. I just don't understand this. Grimlok Rules!

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Haha... Yes, grimlok does rule. However, Grimlock is a completely different Kevin Lee.

10. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

Ok condolances to Kevin and congrats to Rob. But the more I think about Rizzo at CT the more excited I get. I love his articles about buying used stuff and making something cool of it. I've debated keeping my subscriptions to both CT and CCT and I'm pretty sure if I make a choice Rizzo will still be arriving in my mail box.

11. Hey Rob, this is a off topic, but will there still be tech articles in CT on your Dirty 39? Also, did you sell your AD truck? I've been looking for more tech stories in the mag, but it seems like you're concentrating on the '39.

12. FONZI

FONZI

Damn that magazine business is cut throat!! RF way to go!! Right guy right mag!!

FONZI

13. RF

RF

Well, I wouldn't expect to see anything more on the '53, but I've still got quite a bit left to do on the '39. I didn't sell the '53--used it to pay for metal/bodywork and paint on my '47 Fleetline.

14. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Sad to see Kevin Go. I owe him allot of thanks for the recognition he gave me and my car. I dont know Rob, but if Ryan is vouching for him he must be an alright guy. Good luck to Rob and Kevin in their new ventures.

15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Don't know much about magazine lead times from the standpoint of how long it takes from composing, or "putting it ti bed" as is said in the newspaper industry, to being in my maibox. So I have no idea who was responsible for the Nov '09 issue, but they hit a home run!
    Lot's of stuff that a trad rodder can like and do and I hope the trend continues. Didn't care too much for the duplication of a 60's show car style roadster pickup, but that is how it was done, just not my style.
    A few tech errors, like you ain't gonna find a Columbia rear under a shoebox, but I guess that's gonna happen when it's an artist's concept rather than a completed car.
    I'll be happy as long as they don't start putting cars with huge wheels ("Donk" style) and shit like that, even if it isn't all the way I like it.
    I just recently renewed my subscription, 3yrs IIRC and the same for HRM, and I gotta say that what I have seen so far in subsequent issues I feel way better about R&C than HRM.
    Dave

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I finally pulled the November? issue out of my mailbox yesterday so I guess I'll sit back and read what is probably Kevin's last editorial in any rag for a while with close attention.
    I have really enjoyed what Kevin has done with the magazine's direction since he took the helm and hope that it keeps that line of thinking.

That said I've enjoyed Robs work since he first started and have probably read most of what he (you) have written over the years.

I subscribe to R&C but don't generally buy other rags off the rack at the store if they feature cars/trucks with the big gaudy and ugly wheel/tire combos. Until I found the HAMB I had pretty well slacked off with rodding or customs because I was tired of the magazines telling me that the wheel/tire combo that I had bought last week or month was now out of style and I had to replace them with the "new" style or not be cool.

Good luck with R&C Rob, we will be here holding you to your word.

Kevin, good luck down the road, you can be sure that many of us will be there to support you where ever you go or end up.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

17. rodncustom

rodncustom

You did or didn't sell the '53?

18. A part of me was let down when Rob left CR, I stopped buying it. Im glad to hear R&C is getting one of the best out there, congrats Rob.

19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Found my Nov. issue of R&C and the editorial is by Kevin, so I guess I should thank him for that great issue and hope Rob carries the same torch.
    Dave

20. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

OK now I can renew my sub to Rod & Custom .I hated to see Custom Rodder Magazine go.

21. Good Luck to Kevin an the same can be said to Rob.The direction that Kevin had taken R&C I enjoyed!I only hope that that tradition continues an that Rob will only make it even better.GOOD LUCK Kevin!

22. Unfortunately, The Suits upstairs like to change Editors, seemingly at random.

The new guy will get to do stuff his way, for a while,
    then the cycle starts all over again.

RF did good work at Custom Rodder, before the new owners screwed it into the ground, trying to make it like Street Rodder Magazine.

Think The Suits will leave RF alone ?
    My guess: not for long.

23. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I must have been watching a broiler being built when this was posted,Instead, I'm flipping thru a R&C at the market while grabbing drumstick cones and I read the Editorial! Wow, Rob is at the helm! Congrats to you Rob, I like your writing and I know that you love Hot Rods! It was RF who Intro'd me to Ryan in person I don't know how many years back??? Get in touch with me.

I must also wish R&C Lee the best in what he goes on to accomplish. He very talented and he's always got an invite to the PRC RR, as long as he holds onto his Pops old deuce. :)

24. kustomclassics

kustomclassics

Congrats on the new gig ,now if only I could get my bird turner.

25. pompadour

pompadour

Sounds like a dream

26. me personaly didn't care for the new upfront in the latest but wish him luck anyhow

27. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Sounds like were in "good hands"

28. RF

RF

It's the meat of the sandwich that really matters...although, stale or crappy bread can ruin one every now and then. But in that case, I follow my kid's lead and go right for the meat, tossing the slices aside. Besides, most bread just swells up in your gut sooner or later anyway...

Kevin (et al I've yet to re-correspond with), I'll be getting back with you this week...just wrapped up the Feb issue, which hopefully won't be half as late as the last one.

Oh, almost forgot--still have the '53 Bel Air. It just recently had an unexpected guest move in, causing an impromptu rewiring under the hood, the dash, and the center console (I'd be pissed if the li'l rat got in the trunk!). Luckily, the stay was short "lived", as he seemed to like the blue granola snacks I made a bit more than anything in the car.

29. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Glad to see ya back at the Rods w/trunks side Lol!
    Ring me when you can, It's important-lol!
    Got luck with the Ratified 53.