Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Change GM quick-connects for regular line fittings?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustynewyorker, Oct 26, 2015.

1. If I want to say, re-use a late model GM auxillary trans cooler from a pickup or van, can I take off the quick-connect fittings and just use regular parts store pre-formed lines/fittings on it, without it leaking like a sieve?

About all I can find through Google is the ones they put in radiators are not intended to be removed and those may leak - but plenty of places sell replacement fittings. They only seem to exist to save some time on the assembly line and cut the flat rate time at the dealer.

I priced out lines with the right flare and general length/shape and they're crazy expensive compared to just plain old metal line.
    It's getting a lot harder to find the older ones with normal fittings in salvage yards here. But I suppose looking for another one is an option too.

2. stimpy

stimpy

yes you can , they are a metric inverted flare thread so you must use a O ring on the cooler side . we use a metric bolt to measure the threads (1.5) in the cooler side ( carefull when you thread it in not to damage the cone inside ) , speedway sells them as power steering adaptors . earls and aeroquip also sells them ( only place I find them are gasoline alley In indianapolis ) they have a an end , if you want a NPT female end try the Parker catalog

3. There are a bunch of different threads too. It's a pain but you can get around it.

Funny thing is, those lines are SOOO bad that the dealer will probably have the lines and fittings in stock. No they ain't cheap. The lines rot right into the fitting and usually you need both

The flair is called jiffy tite and its solely for assembly line proficiency. The parts, fittings and flairs is not cheaper but,,, it reduces leaks, cross threads and and repair time. Avoiding the assembly line rework is cost effective.

4. stimpy

stimpy

I have only found 3 sizes that Gm uses 14 , 16 and 18 mm the 16 is also 5/8

also jiffy tite can be bought at hydraulic distributors , go to there web site .

5. Figures, I was hoping I could buy something right up at the parts store preformed line rack that would thread in there, like I did when my daily (a 91 van) had the trans lines go a few years back.

I looked up some applications at Rock Auto and the one long line from trans to the cooler was $80 there and $145 at Autozone, for a Dorman part. I don't even want to think about the dealer price for a GM piece.

The kicker on the application I looked up is the line is wrapped with some sort of plastic insulation material, like they use on wiring harness sections. Which, of course, holds moisture so in any area they use road salt you can kiss the lines goodbye in a hurry.

6. Maybe I'm missing something then.
    Each Trans has 2 different proprietary fittings and change by year. The radiator fittings are different per vehicle, and on the same vehicle auxiliary coolers will have different fittings than the coolers.

30% of every pickup plowing snow will need trans lines this year. The other 60% either got them last year or will need them next year. Yeah there's 10% missing for the new trucks.

It's such a pain with the fitting to convert to inverted flair that its just easier to get the damn lines. Pretty sure its that way on purpose

7. stimpy

stimpy

if you take the adaptor off the threads are standard sizes , the pipe adaptors changed over the years ,

you are talking about these ugly things right ?? [​IMG]

8. squirrel

squirrel

Sorry I can't help figure this stuff out...but on the plus side, I'm totally ignorant of all these fittings. Which means there must be a way to build a car without having to deal with them.

9. Lmao !!!
    :)

10. stimpy

stimpy

if you use modern salvage parts you run into them , I found the hard way when GM discontinued my DDs oil cooler lines when I had one blow out , so I had to convert mine to AN and PFTE hose to use the oil cooler and then later my trans flex lines started to swell so I changed them out , and when customers were sick of having to replace the lines due to rust outs or blow outs I converted theres to like mine as I do not like to have to change out lines all the time and customers want to spend the money to replace stuff only once .

11. squirrel

squirrel

I guess that's it...I haven't used modern salvage parts to build a hot rod for a decade or two.

12. daliant

daliant

Get a (Dorman 800-155 ) 3/8 male GM quick connect on both ends, cut it in half and then flare/union onto your existing lines. Should be about 10 bucks at Napa.