Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Chambered exhaust" or "Turbo Tubes"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doug F., Sep 19, 2005.

1. Doug F.

Doug F.

Has anyone tried "chambered exhaust pipes" or "turbo tubes"? I guess they are a replica of a vintage Thrush product? And I remember when they were used as an OEM system in the 60's high performance Chevelles and Corvettes. No steel or glass packing. They are available in as little as 3" OD and should help ground clearance. I have had both glasspacks and turbos and neither has been exactly "right".

Has anyone actually heard them in use?

You can see examples at these sights.

http://www.classicchambered.com/index.html
    http://www.sweet-thunder.com/chambered_general_main.html#aluminum

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

:)

Have not used the ones you listed but had a couple sets of the original OEM types ( 69 Z28 ) ..

They sound great...

3. 40Tudor

40Tudor

BrummmmmmmmmmGAAAAAAAAAAAABrummmmmmmmmmGAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!:D:D

I have some Thrush Turbo Tubes on the '40. SBC/Tremec 5spd, fenderwell headers, 2.25" exhaust, and 2.5" ID mufflers.

Low rumble at idle, loud on the highway and a really nice (and loud) rap when I let off to shift esp. over 3000rpm. Not unusual for it to pop a little when coasting (but I know I'm set up a little rich).

After the run back from St. Peter yesterday (an hour of two lane and 4 lane divided) my ears were ringing just a touch. 'Course there's isn't a stitch of sound insulation anywhere in the car and all the windows were down.

Pretty hard to accurately describe in text form. Hope this helps.

Chris

4. rt66jt

rt66jt
    from York, PA

If the chambered exhaust is a repro of the GM stuff, it will be loud and not as efficient as today's designs. The "chambers" are basically just crimps in the pipe-not very effective at muffling, but good at disturbing exhaust flow. Smooth rules for efficiency. The chambered pipes do have a positive cool factor, though.