Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cell Phone Most DANGEROUS Tool in the Shop - Don't Text and Hot Rod - Not Traditional

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SakowskiMotors, Oct 2, 2010.

1. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why is it the equipment that's the distraction? Undisciplined use of anything can cause problems. If i'm paying for someone to work I don't want to catch em looking like a squirrel with a nut texting his girl or his buddies. I want em working. If I'm out getting something and I need to contact someone specific I call their cell and hope they do answer. The real point is use the shit for what it's intended not as a toy. And yeah as was said already, if you're that easily distracted then I'm glad you're not flyin a plane. Forget to torque the mains? WTF...

2. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Exactly.
    The people that don't believe it are the really scary ones.

Funny/Crazy that after I wrote this, we took a walk downtown with the family.
    A lady on a cell phone pulled across the sidewalk entrance at slowly clipped my wife's leg ( barely, but still ) and stopped about 1 foot from my 2 and 4 year old's stroller.
    I had some choice words for her, and she screamed she didn't hit us? Just almost hit us?!

I am sure she thinks she can drive and talk on the cell phone.

A phone in your pocket Turned OFF for emergencies IF you are by yourself is a debate, but that is it.

One for the traditional police to enforce :)= CELL PHONES IN THE SHOP OR DRIVING YOUR HOT ROD IS NOT TRADITIONAL.
    Definitely not cool.

I have had people try to talk on their cell phone and text while on motorcycles on my bike tours on the 101 in traffic?!
    Now phones must be off and in your luggage.

Definition of Multi Tasking = Doing many things poorly

Wil Sakowski
    www.sakowskimotors.com
    www.ridefree.com Motorcycle and Classic Car Tours

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Used to sub for a guy that was addicted to his cell phone, so was his wife. She got a brand new Jag a few years ago when things were good. I asked her how she liked driving it. "Hard to shift while I'm on my cell."....................................

4. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

A friend of mine has a cell phone jammer hidden in his shop.
    He says it is great b/c loud customers have to walk out side, and employees can't get service.

So So Funny. He tells me over a beer at the end of the day, about all the loud customers walking around in circles holding their phones up like zombies, and new employees always walking around trying to get service until they give up and just work.
    It is a metal fab shop, with lots of things that will cut your arm off quick.

Wil
    www.ridefree.com Tours
    www.sakowskimotors.com

I think I am going to put one in my back pack and take it with me everywhere!

5. 117harv

117harv

When i had my construction company in the 90's and early 2000 i never liked talking on the cell. When i first had one circa 91 it would ring as i was driving and right off the bat i knew it was dangerous to talk and drive. After a month or so and then on i would have my wife answer it as i drove, yes i worked with my wife every day. I knew it was destracting/dangerous and thats why i didn't drive and talk. Some people, actually many, many people think they can talk/text and drive and they had to be told not to, they are the reason we have anti cell and driving laws.

6. studemisfit

studemisfit

I agree with the driving talk/text thing, and people who are on there a large part of the day at work when they should be working. It can be quite a distraction. On the other hand with out my cell i would have been left high and dry when i rolled my car two years ago on a back road at 5am cause of ice. Or when i found that the reserve switch on my motorcycle didnt work so i was stuck on the shoulder of the interstate just above the ghetto. These days people are fucking nuts and retard and will just drive by or worse stop and rob/kill you or one of your family members. I live outside of philly so shit is a real concern for me about my wife and daughter, and my single aging mother. So a rant is great but until people quit being fucked up and become trustworthy I keep my phone in my pocket and will like many said chose to answer/call back when i safely can. Tradition is way of life that if you don't evolve certain aspects will bite you in the ass.

7. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Hey, nice to be missed.
    I am actually slowly working my way back now. I have had a real nice time by the beach in North Carolina, but I still do tons of my work in California, and am doing my Tours www.ridefree.com more also.
    So I spend about at least 1/3 of the year back in LA.
    So I guess we are heading home. Real estate is getting way more affordable also, which the elimination of the middle class in CA with real estate is a main reason we left.
    See ya around soon. i will be in LA all of October besides when on bike tour.
    Wil

8. skywolf

skywolf

Ironic but true, traditional hot rod internet forums and traditional hot rod websites are not traditional !! :) If I didn't have my phone at work I wouldn't have any work. I build houses for a living and there are just as many ways of getting killed on a construction site as there are in a shop. Really it's just a matter of using some good old fashioned "traditional" common sense.

9. cell phones aren't the problem, its jack asses that can't seem to unplug from them. when i see that blue-tooth shit in the side of a guys head while driving a roadster i just wanna slap him upside the head. Even better yet, the assholes that take calls and fuck with their phones while on a date, this includes females. blue tooth= metro-sexual pussified male. might as well carry a purse to go with that chatty ass

10. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Yet another symptom of the decline of common courtesy and respect for others. Conventional thinking today is that the person on the other end of the phone/text conversation is always more important than the person standing before you.

Example: One day I stopped for lunch and was seated next to an older woman (grandmother?) with a young boy of about 6 or 7 years. For the entire duration of my lunch (35 - 40 minutes) she never stopped talking on her cell, completely ignoring the boy. No doubt this made an lasting impression on him about his importance to his grandmother and on how to treat other people.

11. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  12. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Five or six years back I had another problem with the phone carrier of my choice at the time,

I had been with them for many years and they / we could not come to a happy ending for the both of us.

At that time I chose to stop having a cell phone.

Let me say that, I work I go home twenty minutes drive time in between .

If you need me in between home and work ,Please call back ...

Never been happier ,and no more cell bills......

I know I must be the only person on earth without one......

13. If a cell phone can pull away that much of your attention, I dont want you touching anything I own.

Ever have anyone do the "tig test" on you? Basicly, you are underhood, tigging away, randomly someone will smack a hammer on your welding table. Some guys (I'm one) it doesn't throw me off at all. Some guys drop everything and jump half way across the room.

If a cell phone ringing makes you lose that much concentration, I know which way you react to a tig test.

Also, just because it rings, doesn't mean you have to answer or even look at it. :rolleyes:

14. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

we call that working one handed
    no cell phones in the shop , only on breaks , which we don't get , so anytime is a break
    on flat rate ..if you ain't working , you ain't earning

15. Road Runner

Road Runner

Cell phones in use every minute of each day is bad enough, but how about texting...?
    - I just don't get it.

Last week a study was released that laws banning texting while driving may actually increase the number of distraction-related accidents.
    Speculation is that drivers are holding their texting devices low in their laps to avoid being spotted by police, taking their eyes even further off the road.

When every moment in life becomes so boring and insignificant, that you have to get right up to the edge of common sense to give it purpose.
    Same old affliction, but with a new face.

16. drchopper

drchopper

I agree with the Cel phone jammers as being wonderful , I just ordered 2 from E--y and cant wait to use them in our next shop meeting , all those people that say they are paying attention along with watching videos and apps while ignoring what is really important ,BTW we make injectable drugs for children . these stupid idiots waste at least 2-3 hrs a day everyday playing with their phones which = employee theft .

17. hydroshawn

hydroshawn
    from Tx,Ca

The biggest distraction in my garage is.....oh ya, I don't have a garage. But those dang kids at the mall walking into things while texting, that is dangerous.

18. hydroshawn

hydroshawn
    from Tx,Ca

That is great! lol that is a keeper....

19. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Of course, as the employer, (retired now) ,
    On the clock? All cellphones 'off'. Can't follow the boss's rules? Hit the road jack.

20. Muttley

Muttley

I have a no cell phone PERIOD policy. I want less ways for people to bother me, not more.

21. Nope I'd be the second :D

22. VonKool13

VonKool13

Wow dude you need to get off your soapbox. Cell phones don't kill people, stupid people kill and hurt people. It's simple...no when to use your phone and when to ignore it. Duh....

23. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Know when:rolleyes:

I am sorry, but that was too good to pass up:)

Have fun

p.s. I KNOW that phones don't explode and kill you, but people do need to step up and get on some soapboxes now before it is too late in this country. It is the people that can't / won't check themselves that are the problem. ( not saying you are one of those people, I don't know you, and I am just giving you a friendly HAMB poke about the typo )

I have never met ANYONE who can have a productive / safe day at work or drive, and be picking up and looking at their cell phone at the same time. Or at least have an " as safe or productive day".
    I have only met people who THINK they can.

It is just the truth. You can bend it anyway you want, but there are solid truths in this world, even if people want to believe there are not.
    How was that for a friendly soapbox?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  24. KSLeadslinger

KSLeadslinger

I'm with Lance-Speed, if i'm in the middle of something and it rings, it goes to voice mail. Then one of two things happen, they leave a msg and I listen to that when i'm not in the middle of something, or when I get a chance I look at the screen and see who called, or sent me a text...hell sometime I forget about it having ever gone off. Then my wife gets really pissed.

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm using a cell phone, no cell phone pricing system at Hershey this year.

26. Jeff J

Jeff J

The best way to stop texting and phone calls while driving is make it a LAW that the phones don't work while in MOTION . But that's not going to happen, the phone companys loses money and so does the government on the taxes and charges .They have a good thing going and there not going to stop making money!

27. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Wow, that would just be too easy, smart, and simple.

28. roadworthy'49

roadworthy'49

so if you ride in someone else's car, you can't be on a phone then either?:rolleyes:

How about you guys just have less friends? I don't have a house phone, my cell is the only way to reach me. If it rings 3 times in a day, at least twice it will be my wife. And she doesn't call me when I'm at work. Stop trying to be so popular, and less people will call.

29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too bad some just don't get it. I've made a lot of money on my phone...behind the wheel...at work...at shows or meets...a lot of money. W/out the phone my numbers would be considerably less. I'ma go back to the reply about the engine. 2 weeks ago I was helping a friend assemble his SBC. Got a call from a customer and a call from the Mrs. I took both calls while I was installing the crank. I didn't forget anything. I didn't fuck it up. Does that make me, uh, special?

I closed a deal while driving a 32 REO Royale, on my cell. I simply asked him to wait when I shifted gears. He did and I got a nice 5 figure commission for my efforts. I called the owner of a Deusy from behind the wheel...of his DEUSENBERG. He asked me to so why not? But then again, I was walking through a show one day while chewing gum and...

30. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

This is just why i stick with smoke signals!