Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Cederholm build - Was 1930 Coupe, now 1929 Tudor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cederholm, Dec 9, 2018.

1. cederholm

cederholm

This is my first full hot rod build so I figure this is a good place to try to document what I'm up to. Hopefully those with more knowledge will lend advice and those will less might find my mistakes helpful. Not sure I'm going to be good at this build thread stuff but I'll try. This isn't going to be a quick build and I'll post updates when I can.

The plan is a 100% traditional car and since it's my first I felt staying close to to the Tardel playbook would be in my best interest. I started another thread a while ago with some questions and some of this might overlap that. ...if anyone even notices.

10 years ago I picked up my first part - a 1952 8BA motor from a truck I took it apart then life got in the way and is sat on a shelf in my shop. About a year ago, on advice from the guys on FordBarn, I dropped the block off with Gary on Long Island (GOFAST on FordBarn). He's a flathead master and checked the block. It got a clean bill of health and Gary and I laid out a plan. He would do all the machine work and assemble a "kit" of agreed upon parts and I would assemble it. Eagle 4" crank, Scat rods, Ross pistons, Isky cam, Offy heads and all the other goodies. Here are some pics

~ Carl
    1-1.jpg 1-2.JPG 1-3.JPG 1-4.JPG 1-5.JPG 1-6.JPG 1-7.JPG 1-8.JPG

Attached Files:

• 1-9.JPG
      1-9.JPG
      File size:
      166.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    Outback, nochop, hfh and 18 others like this.
  2. Pete

Pete

Looking great! Keep posting pics

kidcampbell71 and cederholm like this.
  3. cederholm

cederholm

While all this was going on I was on the search for a car. It had to be a Ford model A coupe (or maybe a tudor)! Like everyone else, my vision was a chopped fenderless rod but I wanted to buy the most complete car that I could find in my price range. I was willing to ship if I found the right car, but would prefer something local. Months of looking and learning lead me to a car in my own back yard - literally! ...about 5 miles away in fact, right here in Brooklyn. The car is 100% complete running, driving car and I fell in love with it. So much so that my plans changed from a chopped fenderless car to a full fendered and stock hight. Think I'm even going to keep the NY taxi black and yellow.

~ Carl

2-1.JPG

2-2.JPG

3-2.JPG 4-2.JPG 5-2.JPG 7-2.JPG 8-2.JPG 9-2.JPG

Attached Files:

• 6-2.JPG
      6-2.JPG
      File size:
      18.6 KB
      Views:
  4. cederholm

cederholm

I was a happy camper learning to double-clutch on the streets of Brooklyn in my fully stock banger mobile. BUt I'm on HAMB because I cant leave anything alone. :D

So I got some Firestones and chrome from Coker and pulled a couple spring from the pack in the back.

3-1.JPG 3-2-1.JPG 3-3.JPG 3-4.JPG 3-5.JPG 3-6.JPG

tr_rodder, SS327, dirt t and 27 others like this.

5. AABF2C82-D624-4FE8-8877-72F73D0CA23A.gif Cool looking car, digging the big n littles

AmishMike, blowby, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  6. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Much as I love the AV8 idea, if that runs as good as it looks, I'd be VERY torn about driving it until the motor needed "doing" before I changed to the V8, just making sure I had all the pieces needed for the swap all set aside & ready to go. Those "bangers" are a whole bunch of fun!! But then, that's just me, & it's your car & your choice, so enjoy it however you desire!! Remember : Fun is Mandatory!! LOL!

AmishMike likes this.
  7. dwollam

dwollam

What did you do about the lugs and hubs fitting the chrome wheels? Does it have hyd brake drums?

Dave

8. Damn.that's nice.

cederholm and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Orn

Orn

Looking good!

cederholm likes this.
  10. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

Looks great with the wheel tire combination, can't wait to see it with the flattie installed.

cederholm likes this.
  11. Damn, thats a nice car. :)

kidcampbell71 and cederholm like this.
  12. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

Very nice!!

cederholm likes this.
  13. cederholm

cederholm

drtrcr-V-8, it does run as good as it looks, and torn is an understatement. On the good advice I got here on the HAMB, the plan is build all the running gear onto another chassis while keeping the coupe fully in tact. This will allow me to enjoy driving the car while taking my time with the build. I'll move the body last. As far as the banger part - the fun of a banger has not been lost on me either. By building a whole separate chassis I will still have the stocker fully in tack. ...and I have visions for it's future.:cool:

Dave, they all fit the stock drums, but I'm not pleased with the small amount of thread available in the rear. I check the lugs often the car is only used locally and not on the freeway until the update.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    1947knuck and farmer12 like this.
  14. dwollam

dwollam

That's what I feared. They are the same bolt pattern but lugs are not long enough to be safe and the center of the wheel does not sit properly on the drum. You really are taking a risk running them that way. '28 - '35 drums are designed to run wire wheels, not disc wheels.

Dave

GASSERBOB, cederholm and curbspeed like this.
  15. Bugguts

Bugguts

I love the look. Hard to believe a new set of tires and wheels can totally make the car look that cool. I'd cruise it!
    I like your plan to build another rolling chassis, great idea. An engine upgrade will make it so much more street friendly, or should I say highway friendly.

cederholm likes this.
  16. cederholm

cederholm

I needed more parts and first on my list was a transmission. I posted what I was looking for and Randy (Flat Power) from NJ reached out with what I was looking for as well as few other parts that I needed. My son and I also enjoyed our tour of Randy's father's shop and the great projects they are working on.
    The haul,
    • 1935 transmission case with 1939 gear and shifter
    • F1 steering rack
    • front backing plates
    • spindles
    • brake and clutch box
    4-1.JPG 4-2-1.JPG 4-3.JPG

17. cederholm

cederholm

The transmission gears were perfect, no chips, scratches or score. Only one brass syncro was shot but I opted to replace them all as well as all ball and roller bearing. She shifts very smooth now.

5-1.JPG 5-2-1.JPG 5-3.JPG

18. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

You are doing nice work on the project! All of those new flathead parts brought back some good memories.

cederholm likes this.
  19. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Nothing easier on the eyes that a good clean flathead!

cederholm likes this.
  20. Looks good so far. I spent last winter putting an 8BA in my '31 coupe, pretty much the same build sheet from the looks of it. Ran into a few tricky spots but it's all doable.

Outback and cederholm like this.
  21. cederholm

cederholm

Do you have a thread on it? Would love to take a look.

22. 392

Sweet ride. Great work.

Retson the Racer and cederholm like this.
  23. cederholm

cederholm

Well my son and I went shopping again and came back happy! ...again!

This time a near perfect 1930/31 frame, model T rear spring, '40 rear end (complete), and '48 rear drums.

6-1.JPG 6-2-1.JPG 6-3.JPG

VANDENPLAS, 1947knuck, brEad and 4 others like this.
  24. cederholm

cederholm

...and spent some quality time on these 1940 pedals. Sheesh. getting the worn main shaft out was a bear. Resorted to cutting half the shaft off, drilling to 1/2 inch and turning, on the lathe, a couple tools to allow me to press the part on on a 20 ton HF press. That thing was seized pretty good, but finally with a large "pop" it let lose.

As you can see, drilling some broken bolts out was also a challenge - glad I had that angle block collecting dust.

7-1.JPG 7-2-1.JPG 7-3.JPG

VANDENPLAS, 1947knuck and mad mikey like this.
  25. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NOOOOOOOooooooo ! that hole is threaded because there is no way to get a nut on it from behind!

Outback and Jim Lato like this.
  26. cederholm

cederholm

Ah, that single whole is threaded?!? We'll looks like I'll be tapping to a larger size, or welding it closed and re-drilling/tapping!

Thanks for the heads up!!

~ Carl

Outback likes this.
  27. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heli-coil. But that was originally a fine pitch thread

Outback likes this.
  28. cederholm

cederholm

It should be easy enough to fill/tap with it on the bench. Truth is I'm not even sure I'll be mounting it. It will be going on a 32 K member on a 30 A chassis. Just one more part of the puzzle!

29. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check out the brake & clutch pedal thread, seeing that angle mounted bracket and the space you are working with might be enlightening

Outback and cederholm like this.
  30. cederholm

cederholm

Been busy in the heated basement shop cleaning and prepping parts.

1st up. Cutting the flange off my F1 steering box and machining the snout for a "Tardel" conversion.

IMG_1421.JPG IMG_1424.JPG IMG_1404.JPG IMG_1402.JPG IMG_1486.JPG

Outback, 1947knuck, mctim64 and 4 others like this.