Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cast aluminum Friction shocks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crafty B, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Crafty B

Crafty B

Hey Guys
    I sold a set of my friction shocks to a fellow in Paramount Cal and they some how got lost in the mail 6 weeks ago and now we are both out... so if anyone might know anything PLEASE let me know... I know it's a long shot but this is only the 4th set I have made so there's not many out there

Thanks Crafty

Attached Files:

2. That's why I've used UPS for 45 years.

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hear what you're saying. About 10 years ago I sold a pair of "551" Chrysler hemi heads (the high port '55 model everyone says is best). They were too heavy for UPS, but not Fedex, so I sent them in two separate shipments with two tracking numbers. Neither one got to the buyer. How do you lose TWO 75 lb packages being sent from Minneapolis to Wausau, WI?:confused: I could never get a straight answer from Fedex, no matter how hard I tried. Upon advice from my attorney, I accepted the $100 insurance on each one, meaning I lost $300 on the whole deal, which is a lot less than the cost to pursue the matter legally. Strange thing; about two weeks later, I got a greasy old SBC head from Fedex, saying they 'found' one of them.:eek:

To this day, I am convinced someone who knew what stuff was worth that worked for Fedex has these heads. The SBC head I received confirms this to me; someone at one of their centers sent it trying to get me off track. If you would have seen it, you would probably agree with me that no one would have bought it, much less paid to ship it.

Call me paranoid, but I will never, ever use Fedex again. Every time I see one of their ads, I get pissed off all over again.:mad:

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Well I'd never use the Brown shirts EVER , how do you loose an aluminum Midget cowl section? Old boss lost four Bugatti wheels that were in boxes. DHL is dead so I'm back using FedEx Ground. FLAT Rate Priority mail is the best thing on earth! Starters & generators, Connecticut to the West Coast for $9.80, that is a deal!

5. careyohio

careyohio

Know the feeling !!!! Have never had any luck with the post office finding anything after it was lost. Was told all lost items go to a central point and are auctioned off...( they want take the time to search for a lost item )
    Best advice I can give is...
    Insure every item for its true value.......get " Signature Confirmation " or at least " Delivery Confirmation " on each item.
    Cost a couple bucks extra but is well worth it !! Ask me how I know !!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  6. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

Talking about "losing" stuff. I had two pairs of 1932 frame rails disappear.
    Freight line could track to Illinois...then nothing.Just gone.
    Do you think someone knew what they were?

ohh, very cool looking shocks,and yes it sucks when stuff gets lost.

7. Crafty B

Crafty B

here's what happened... I think. My wife dropped of the packages to be shipped that day at out local post office and she was told that it would be cheaper to send the box priority mail so she reboxed at the post office and maybe the address was copied wrong or there may have been confusion because there was more than one shipment that day. We almost always use the delivery comformation it costs a whopping 60 cents but for whatever reason she did not use it because we have never lost a shipment to date. So this was a big wake up call for me and I have changed the way I will ship from here on out

Crafty

8. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Bummer man, live and learn I guess...nice parts anyways, keep sellin em!

9. pastlane

pastlane

At one point the Post Office was selling "lost" items on ebay. Full descriptions & photos. They had lost several of my shipments over the years but when I saw stuff that I had lost, filed claims on and they "did a search & could not find" listed on ebay I started screaming, others must have too cause now they only list their old equipment. The lost stuff still gets auctioned off, just not on ebay anymore.

10. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

FedEx lost a pair of M/T sportsmans at the depo they dropped them off to be shipped to me. They ALL suck.

11. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I've had packages take two months to show up. Must've taken the "around the world" trip with USPS. Also had payments take that long to show up via First Class Mail too...makes the seller unhappy. ;)

I filed a damage claim on the post office - they paid out, but it was a pain in the ass. They didn't care what the insurance amount was, they wanted me to prove what I'd paid for it. What BS. Then they kept the item and I asked what they did with it - they said they auction it off. Seems like it was in MO somewhere...

Another thing that irks me is USPS MO never expire and you can't put a stop payment on them. So if they get lost in the mail and you eventually get a refund (takes over 60 days before they will even consider talking to you about refunds), if it's ever cashed, they come back to you for their money. Yet they keep a list of bad, stolen, lost MOs - however, it's hard copy only - wtf,o?

12. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

you guys should be on the dock of a postal hub sometime when the "lost damaged" trucks come in... the shit thats in those gaylords is amazing.

if a package or open-shipped item is missing its lable, or it becomes unreadable... its a dead issue. all the stomping up and down, pouting and screaming isnt going to bring it back because the post office (and i would guess the other shippers are the same way) dont have the manpower to go wandering around looking for "its a brown box with clear tape on it, i wrote the address in green ink"

my advice is this. wait a while. say two weeks, then contact the post office nearest you and who you shipped it to, and ask to speak to someone in reclaimation. then give them a DETAILED description of the stuff, and you might get lucky.

remember, its kinda like the Army.. if it dont have a number on it, it dont exsist. or for you non-military types, like the parts store... pointing at a part on the shelf dont make it in the computer, and if it aint in the computer, they cant sell it to you

13. Crafty B

Crafty B

thanks guys for the info..I sent my wife to the post office to check it out ... lol
    Crafty

14. Crafty B

Crafty B

well I have given up hope on finding the shocks and have made a new set, but I will insure them and use delivery comformation this time for sure

Crafty

15. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

unless you can deliver it yourself... you will never know who is looking at your stuff...
    I bought a quickchange for a midget and fedex or Fedup as I call them... lost it. I stayed on them for weeks. I finally found it was delivered to a plant 3 miles up the road from me. got the rear end and boxes were trashed. I demanded a refund and got it. havent used Fedex since!

16. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

always insure your shipments.

17. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"We almost always use the delivery comformation it costs a whopping 60 cents...."

Get your Priority Mail shipping label on line and mark it as paying for the shipment at the Post Office. Delivery Confirmation is free with the on-line label. Not a big deal, but one less transaction at the P.O. and 60¢ in your pocket is better than nothing.

https://sss-web.usps.com/cns/landing.do

18. went through this just recently. I sent a partially machined one off custom input shaft for a Lasalle trans to Denver for final machining. Somewhere between here and there (one hour drive time) the shaft exited the box, never to be seen again. The box arrived, taped back together, with the core clutch disc and my instructions in it, but no shaft. No amount of begging could get anybody to even look at the pictures I had of it, to attempt to look for it.

Foolish me, I knew the shaft itself couldn't get damaged, so I didn't insure. Never thought about it just disappearing. I know better next time.