Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration CARtoons Magazine Coming Back to Print!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CARtoons Magazine, Feb 22, 2015.

1. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Or a parody of "Fat and Furious" or "Counting Cars"

Mark A, dana barlow and Jigger like this.
  2. Love it!!!
    Krass and Bernie lives in Car Craft!!

3. think of the parodys that they could do on all of the stupid car/drama shows on the tube.

4. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Told my 12 yr old you were bringing back The magazine. He wants a subscription. I only have about 3 old ones and he took them. Trosley was always my favorite also. Looking forward to it.

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Where's them Varmints?

6. just get the magazine rolling and let the readers feedback dictate the final direction it goes,good to see it's return!

Jigger likes this.
  7. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

8. Got my T shirt ready for the iron on!

9. Paul B

Paul B

Good luck cant wait

10. Since the Past demise of CARtoons the automotive world has diversified dramatically. There are tons of topics to parody: American Chopper, Overhaulin (Or any deadline based build show), Anything Jesse James, (previously mentioned Counting Cars), Top Gear, Just to name a few TV show based topics. Then you get into the diverse automotive styles, trends, etc... Giant black smoke diesel trucks, donks, pro-touring, RatRods, Trad Rods, the list goes on and on... Spread the automotive humor like peanut-butter and you could have a pretty big audience. Best of luck to your endeavor, I'll be looking forward to your progress.

Jigger likes this.
  11. I would like to offer the exact same sentiment! Thank you for bringing back one of my favorite rags ever!

12. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

In addition to all the lampooning various car "cultures", styles, & ideas, I also remember some things that were done in an exaggerated style of parody. While funny, they didn't entirely make sense to me until much later, when I found out the truth behind the cartoon. One I'm referring to is the parody of Kent Fullers' new super-lightweight chassis, which in the cartoon, floated away like a balloon. & a lot of one-liner were just precious. (Two guys watching another racer, in front of a 'Cammer-powered flopper, pouring Coke from a bottle, into the Moon tank, w/the case of Coke sitting nearby. Comment was: "Ya know, maybe these Ford guys would run better, if they didn't take things so literally.") 'Cammer is one favorite mill, but I just ROFLMAO.

Seems Pete was on the forefront cutting edge of happenings, & usually nailed it through humor. Very much like the Doonesbury cartoon does/did politically. I hope this continues. Boy, w/all the 'laws' being passed, + all the crap that's been passed, that should provide ~ 5+ years worth of work right there. & NHRA is still a 'rich' target. + the shenanigans of the magazines & suppliers themselves that caused their demise. & the list goes on... :D .

Even though, AFAIK, Tom Medley never Toon'd for them, his style would've been right at home.
    I was also thinking of the 'Pop n Rod' from PHR, thinking it was Petes' style, couldn't remember & found this: http://artdaily.com/index.asp?int_sec=2&int_new=24789#.VOyr6CzF-iA.
    Hope the new CARtoons can find artists that draw like Pete.

I agree w/the comment about doing 1-page Toons for the various car/truck mags (all of 'em). Maybe at no charge for awhile. In addition to the value-added deal for them, humor for the readers, exposure for CARtoons mag, it'd also demonstrate the wide variety of humor by targeting each mags' genre. &, I'd think, would be a fabulous method of advertising.
    Marcus...

13. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

14. Mark A

Mark A
    from Michigan

I grew up on Cartoons Magazine. And was really bummed out when it was all said and done. I'll be sending something.. bug v w1a.jpg coupe 3 window-1A.jpg El camino-65-.jpg 57 crown4.jpg galixie 500-A1.jpg

dudley32 and 55 Ford Gasser like this.
  15. GTS225

GTS225

I recall the 2-page center folds. Specifically, one titled "Speed Bump", and another titled "Panic Stop". "Speed Bump" showed a very down-in-the-weeds Merc, idling over your typical speed bump, but the profile of the bump was tracing itself through the body of the car. What was so great was the rather intricate detail drawn out, even back then.
    I've seen pics of a model diorama built from the Speed Bump drawing, and it was hellaciously good work.
    "Panic Stop" depicted a lonely crossroads, way out in the desert, with a stop sign. Off to one side was a billboard with a motorcycle cop hiding, and sliding to a stop, in typical drag-the-rubber-off-the-rims cartoon style was an early 70's Camaro. The detail in the drawing was so thorough that it even included the radio being pulled out of the dashboard by the then-popular windshield-embedded antenna, and the headlight door screws hanging out in the air in front of the car, followed by the trim rings, lamps, and even the wiring.
    I really wanted a T-shirt with panic stop printed on it.

Roger

16. CARtoons Magazine

CARtoons Magazine
    from Canada

So CARtoons Magazine needs your input. I just got off the phone with George Trosley and what I great person to talk too. He is definitely in and excited to work with CARtoons Magazine once again, but because Krass & Bernie is tied with Car Craft, you will not see K&B in CARtoons. Could this change in the future? Well that would be up to the support of the readers. If the magazine does very well and shows promise to be around for many years to come, I definitely can see K&B back in the pages of CARtoons where they belong. But for now, this is where your input comes in.
    What type of characters and storyline would you want to see in CARtoons done by George Trosley himself? Post your ideas here and who knows, maybe we will come up with something fresh that all readers will fall in love with. Definitely can't replace K&B, but we can create something new that would be just as addicting to read. Remember, it's Trosley's style that made CARtoons which we will continue to see. So lets hear those ideas!!

17. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

how about Brass and Kernie?
    Seriously good luck, cant wait to see it.

18. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Krass and Bernie have been back for a few years now, in CAR CRAFT.

19. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

ugh....please read post number 76 and then mine...

20. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

How about a character based on Norm Grabowski?

21. Something along the lines of a Krusty old Hot Rodder and a young Whipper-Snapper in the same shop/running a shop could be fun. Or a cartoon adaptation/interpretation of the old Titus TV show (I bet Chris Titus would actually have good input)

22. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Chris Titus?? Are you OK??

23. Probably not, but just thought since he's a comedian and a car guy it may be worth throwing out there.

24. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Just tell George to let loose. He is an artist, and probably doesn't need a committee to write for him. I like all his stuff and would personally like to see what he would draw or say if you told him he got so much space every issue, and could go nuts.

It doesn't have to be the same serial cartoon every issue is what I'm saying. It could be a wild detailed scene with no words one issue, a couple of characters doing something the next, a cartoon that is a snarky commentary on some big trend. Something new every time so him and the readers look forward to it

25. X2

26. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

27. Old guys at the speed shop being wise asses to everyone...kinda throwing automotive one liners out there or making smart ass suggestions to customers problems

28. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

There's no end to the high drama car shows to make fun of. Should never run out of subject matter.

29. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

The Auction scene would be a great target and new material for Cartoons since auctions wasn't so prevalent when Cartoons was last published

30. REBEL57

REBEL57

Used car lot

Junk yard operators

Speed shop owners

Body shop workers

Drag strip owners

Traffic cops

Car magazine reporters

High school auto teacher

Drive in operator with car hops (George can draw girls)

Parking lot attendant / valet

Anything where you can have a variety of cars pass through the toon.

Maybe two old Rodder Ghost's come back and mess around in all the above situations.

That allows them more venues and gives them longer legs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015