Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carter yf question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bar Ditch, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

Hi fellas. I have carter yf w/ mechanical choke on a 235 in my truck. When I first got it running the carb would spray fine. After I shut it off the carb would not spray fuel any more. I figured the diaphram had failed so I went ahead and re-built the carb. I even used a better float bowl/ mid-section. The problem I'm having is the carb will still not spray. I havn't rebuilt alot of carbs but one-barrels are defintely not rocket science or maybe they are.:D Have I missed something or overlooked something? This is my first yf and I from what I've found and read they are a pretty good carb.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.Thanks BD

2. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Carter YF...get rid of it. Just my two cents.

3. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Carter 1bbl carbs are finicky, Gotta have everythin adjusted perfect or they wont work.

4. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

As far as I know everything is adjusted correctly. For the life of me I can't figure out why it wont spray. It seems like it is something simple but is evading my train of thought presently.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012

5. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

I got a carter YF on my 78 f100 and it wouldent spray, the little hose off the pump diaphram had a small crack in it and was sucking air, I had a bunch of issues with mine and I finally got all the bugs worked out.....

6. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

Thanks "T'RANTULA" I will go check if their is a leak I haven't noticed yet.

7. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Take the top of the carb off and make sure the float bowl is full, then push down on the top of the diaphram and if you see bubbles comin from the diaphram then its leakin

8. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

That is exactly what it's doin! It has a extra gasket for that very reason and now I know why. I noticed that while out in the shop right now. The instructions say it's only used on some models but now I know thats code for all after you rebuild them.Hahaha. Seriously thanks "T'RANTULA".

9. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

No problem, Not bad for a 19 year old huh! :eek:

10. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

Hahaha! Now,now I'm only 30 and your makin me feel old. Jeesh, kids these days.:D

11. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio