Register now to get rid of these ads!

carter w-1's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sledbuilder, Mar 25, 2011.

1. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

I'm gonna be running 2 carter w-1 carbs on my 235... whats the best way to set them up.... 1 should be left all stock right and the second should just dump fuel right? what do i do to make that happen(never set up dual carbs before...)
    thanks jason

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Wrong ! with 2 carbs you want both to work together. They don't play well on a progressive linkage setup. You end up with lean cylinders at on end and rich on the other.

3. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

oh, so just rebuild them stock, and hook both up the same... both with chokes ect?

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Exactly ! I'm running a pair of W-1s on the 153 Chevy II in my T. Straight linkage with both chokes working,but here in Phoenix I've never need to use the chokes. A quick blip of the gas ,light it off and let it fast idle for a minute max and it's ready to roll. If you don't have a "Uni-Syn" to snycronize the carbs get one.

5. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Functually, you are drawing half the air of a single carb set up through each of the 2 carbs, as such they pretty much self regulate the fuel to the air flow, ahh the beauty of analog devices. One modification you might want to look at is the stroke on the accelerator pumps. the ones on the B1B's that I am familiar with have three positions on the linkage, I am running the minimum stroke on both carbs so as not to get an over rich shot from the
    acc pump circuit.

Where you live you will probably need a choke for those cool spring and fall mornings and evenings, you can usually suffice using one carb for the choke cycle. The synchronization is critical, as you need to adjust the linkage (has nothing to do with the idle screw deal) so that in both carbs, the trottle plates are closed at idle, and then open simultainously to the same position throughout their movement from closed to WOT.

The only downside is that if your vacuum advance runs off ported (carburetor) vacuum, not intake vacuum, it is also recieving only a half signal when running from one carb. So you might need to plumb both carbs into the vacuum line.

I run two carter B1B's on a 230 Mopar 6. I have found that a 5 to 6 degrees more initial advance at idle seems to make up for the light signal to the vacuum pot. My engine runs very nicely on two rebuilt stock singles. It certainly has more power than the single and gets about 2.5 more MPG also.

Do you ever get to any cruise ins or shows east of Rochester?? I am thinking about taking i the one at Sodus Point occasionally this summer.

6. carbking

carbking

7. rusty truck

rusty truck
    from rochester

I have a unisync when you get ready to set those carbs up.