Register now to get rid of these ads!

carter afb ?? sugestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike budniewski, Feb 19, 2007.

1. mike budniewski

mike budniewski

on my daily i have a pretty good 355 sbc and am running a carter 9637 sa afb. well overnight or when parked for a while the carb empties its bowl. i have to crank and pump it for a while before it fires. gas milage is awful for being in a 2700 lb car.10-12 mpg. i lowered the float level a couple times but that does not help! any sugestions thanks mike. cam is a 214@50 442 lift cl is 107

2. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

most of the times a leak back out of the carb isnt so much a float issue, but a needle & seat leak. the needle & seat is the fuel flow valve that the float controls-- allowing fuel into the bowl (and perhaps out of, in your case.)

-scott noteboom

3. Don't forget that the earlier cars have poor aerodynamics.
    I think that's the main reason my 32 roadster doesn't do well on highway MPG.

I'll go along with Notebooms on the needle & seat bit and add that you could be running too much fuel pressure.
    Mine runs 4 1/2# -5 1/2# pressure and doesn't have needle/seat issues.

4. bobw

bobw

To the best of my knowlege, a leaky needle and seat won't empty the bowl, it will overflow it. If it only happens after driving, it could be percolating empty because of engine heat. A thick insulating gasket between the carb and manifold might help.

5. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Just install an electric fuelpump near the tank somewhere and bypass the mechanical pump. This will fill the bowls in a split-second.
    Once I put a Carter electrical fuelpump on my car the long-starts where over. The fuelpump is a max. 5-6 psi, so no regulator needed. The AFB-needles are 'pushed' open at 8-9psi and higher.