Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Carlisle, worth the trip or not?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dragoon119, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Dragoon119

Dragoon119

Alright guys the name's Jon and I've been lurking on this site among others for years and finally worked up the courage to make an account and start contributing, aka watching builds, learning from you more experienced guys and gals, oh yeah and asking questions. I open this thread to ask if driving the three hours to Carlisle PA Spring Swap meet is worth it? I've never been to Carlisle before however; I'll be going up their to see if I can get myself a three two barrel intake manifold and radiator shell on the cheap. Along with other parts if I find something that fits my price. So the question is, for my three hour drive one way, would it be worth it or not?

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Do you enjoy road trips? If so I'd invest the time but wouldn't count on finding any Pre WWII stuff there. It was a 4 hour ride for me and I stopped going to the Fall meets in the late 1970's. Welcome to the HAMB! Bob

3. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What , Carlisle is just around the corner for you. From down under after a 18 hr flight it was well worth it , very organised and priced generally good. Everyone talks about the "hill" heck it was only a decent rise. We found lots of NOS parts for our 54 Victoria. Had a blast there, met lots of new people. Why question going, it's a swap meet , if you are a true hot rodder you grab every swap meet you can.

wraymen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. [QUOTE="Kiwi 4d, post: 10954325, member: 19869" Everyone talks about the "hill" heck it was only a decent rise. [/QUOTE].....................................That hill seemed to be so much smaller when I was younger.:eek:

61 Fairlane, 62hotcat and wraymen like this.

5. Though Carlisle is only a 1/2 hour drive for me, it would still be worth the trip IMO. Get there early and you still won't see it all in one day. Yeah, times change. 1st time there it was 1980, most vendors were backyard guys. Was that really 35 years ago!?

62hotcat likes this.
  6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

3 hours for me, and I love going. Prices aren't cheap...these are car guys who know what they have. Some are overpriced, but you will probably find what you are looking for, more than one, even. Fun day out no matter what...more fun than looking at Ebay at home!

7. Dragoon119

Dragoon119

Thanks Bob glad to be here!
    Alright, guess that answers that. Guess I'm heading to the Carlisle event. I hope I find what I'm looking for.

Andamo likes this.
  8. oldsroller

oldsroller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from PA

I'm a little over an hour away and have gone to at least one meet every year for about 30 years.Do you remember when the race track was still there? Still some deals to be found. If your building and need that odd part, it is probably there. Yeah, worth the trip.Weekdays I think best parking is at the fire station at gate, 1 across from school, not the closest but about the easiest to get out of in afternoon traffic.

9. subneil56

subneil56
    from bristol vt

its 10 hours from vermont and im out the door as i post, cant wait any longer !!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Carlisle is 25 minutes from me and I have been going with my dad since I was 16(I am 46 now). Always a fun trip. Even if the part isn't there or you may have overlooked it, if you are a social person, there is usually someone that you come across that may have what you are looking for at home that will exchange information with you. There is everything from old bicyclcles to mini bikes to old race cars to more parts than one can look at in the four days it is open. Do yourself a favor and pick up a program at the gate. They usually have the vendors listed by what they have and the site they are at. I usually hit those places and then walk as much as I can afterwards. I've been taking my son since he has been 10. He loves it. Especially when they "prove" the engine runs and it's just sitting on the ground with a battery and gas can hooked to it. Enjoy your time and watch out for the motorized scooters and pull along carts. They aren't too friendly on the ankles.

BART

11. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Definitely worth it, bring a wagon. If you stay over night and you mention the event they give you a break on the rooms

12. ...............................Did I see your Coupe parked in a drive-way near gate #1 last year?

13. walking till your feet hurt with a good buddy or two, digging and diving through boxes of stuff, meeting other car guys, endless car talk, greasy sausage and pepper sandwiches, tasteless ice cream, carrying heavy parts back to the car.......sounds like a perfect day

lothiandon1940 and wraymen like this.
  14. the violator

the violator

I'd say its worth the trip, I always enjoy it even if I don't find what I went there for.

15. ..................................That hill seemed to be so much smaller when I was younger.:eek:[/QUOTE]

ain't that the truth, it really is just a small rise but towards the end of the day hauling 30 lbs of junk it feals like Everest.

16. papajohn

papajohn

Six hour drive for me. Went about 20 times since 1986, then hadn't gone for last 7 years and went back last spring with ny son. Was kind of disappointing. Not what it used to be.

17. Don't wait til Saturday, everyone is packing up. Fridays are crowded, I try for Thurs. Wait, that's tomorrow! Woo, Woo!

18. Dragoon119

Dragoon119

I hear that a lot, and I'm wondering if craigslist and ebay had something to do about it. Since Thursday's an off day for me I'm gonna shoot for Thursday and hope for the best. The good thing is I'm not planning on grabbing something heavy... Well I say that now, then I get there and see a pair of heads that just have to come home with me for some future project in my head.

19. 3 hours yes worth it, hell I would consider it worth it for me and I live half way across the country. if nothing else you will have a good time just looking at stuff and watching the crowd. ;)

20. Yeah it's worth it just to get around old car stuff. I drive from Roanoke to Carlisle (about 4.5 hours one way) usually in the fall. We do a day trip, leave about 4 in the morning and home around 10 at night.

21. I want to hit the Ford event in June and shop for parts. The ride is about 3.5 hours each way, but may stay over somewhere if I go alone. I was at one of the spring shows around 1976 and it rained the whole weekend.

22. ....................................Not uncommon.:D

23. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

The ford show is my favorite but then again.....I'm partial. I usually do Spring, All Ford and Fall Carlisle. At the very least I'm good for three smoked sausages with peppers a year.

24. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Takes me 5-hours to get to Carlisle and I've been going to the Spring & Fall meets since the mid-80's. Sometimes I find a lot, sometimes not. Is it worth it? Guess that's up to you. If you enjoy a day or two around fellow gear heads and being around millions of car related parts, I'd say it's definitely worth it.

25. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I do the hill first, then I sit and rest. A great swap meet

TagMan and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. greenie-reddy

greenie-reddy
    from maryland

We went Thursday and it was pretty chilly- but saw lots of great stuff and brought home some treasures. Friday I am giving my feet the day off and actually going to **** (can't bring myself to type that 4 letter word); but Saturday we'll be there bright and early. The weather forecast is sunny and 60, but of course it will be 40 at 8am! Seems like a few weeks ago it was downright balmy in Charlotte- but changes in lattitude................................

27. Depends on what you are looking for.
    When I was there, Carlisle was mostly post war,
    Hershey was mostly pre war.

I enjoyed Hershey more.

3 hour drive, I would try and do both.

28. So my wife decided that we'd put down hardwood flooring on Wed in the smaller bedroom since I was going to Carlisle the next day and I'm thinking at 67, I'm f'd ! Well. did the flooring, burned up my bench saw-windy day, could not get all the smoke back in, and went to Carlisle on Thurs. My buddy drove the two hour trip (one way), we were pretty chilly after 5 hours, and the only thing I bought was two pair of cotton gloves for us to wear, no gyro, no ignition column lock, loved, but had to pass on a factory ford dual quad y-block manifold for $400, and would do it again in a heartbeat (after I rest a bit). Hell yeah, Carlisle is worth the trip!
    Sorry. didn't see any of you there, but I'd only recognize you by your avatars!

29. I went Thursday had a Great Time a little cold but I found some cool parts well worth the road trip!! Jim

30. Yesterday was chilly, still better than working!