Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carb Setup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CRASHNBURNS, Jun 5, 2008.

1. I am wondering if anyone else is running this setup, and if so how do you have your carbs adjusted, fuel pressure, distributor, or anything else to make it work. My motor is a 50 Mercury 8CM that is 10 over, everything else is stock as far as I know. It's has an old Wieand high rise intake with two Stromberg 97s. I am running an electric fuel pump with a regulator. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.[​IMG]

2. Flatman

Flatman

If the carbs are in tandem, they should be synced so they're drawing evenly. There's a tool available from Speedway called a Unisyn that measures the vacuum at the carbs. $25 and you'll only use it once after you've removed the carbs or linkage. You could probably rig a water manometer up to a small tin can with the ends removed and a tube stuck through the side.
    Mixture screws set 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 turns out from seated is a good place to start. Fine tune with a vacuum gauge if your manifold has a port.
    Nice engine, what's it got internally besides a 4" crank and a .010" over bore?

Flatman

3. I'm not sure, never been in there. It ran when I bought the Mercury in 1998 and has always run real good. I know it's 10 over because when I cleaned it up I found a rebuild tag riveted to it from 1957. The only thing I have replaced is the water pumps, it still has the same plugs and wires as it did when I bought it. I changed the manifold and carb to this setup recently, but it's basically just mocked up.