Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carb question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nixer, Sep 9, 2003.

1. I gotta question. I got a 94 that i am getting ready to rebuild. The thing came apart easy enough. But the jets that are located at the bottom of the float bowl are stuck in there real tight. Do i need a special screwdriver, or somthing. the ones i have don't have a wide enough head to grab both sides fo the jet (don't want to mush the ends of the jetz), while those that do, don't fit through the access holes. What gives. Any suggestions.

Tok

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

You're gonna have to find a screwdriver with the right blade thickness and a shank that fits the hole, and grind the width to fit OR approximate the real tool by grinding on a long, thin quarter inch deep socket tool until you have two teeth at the end.
    There is a perfect tool for the job, but I seem to have the only one on the planet--mine is the Snap-On version, similar to a KRW: It has a long shank that pilots on the threaded plug hole, two teeth to engage the slots, and a spring loaded prong in the middle to capture the jet so you can actually pull the jet with the lid on the carb. Bring your carb to Englishtown, Carlisle, or Hershey and I'll bring it...
    Also, check your local Speedshop and see what current special drivers they sell for Holley four barrels--I believe those, especially the one made for the Holley kit that adds removal plugs to the bowls, may be what you need.

3. Paul2748

Paul2748

I took a screwdriver that just the end of the blade fit through the hole, filed down the shank where it widens out, and screwed out the jet that way. The screwdriver was just wide enough to engage the slot on both sides of the jet.

4. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

If the top is off of the carb you can use a "windsheild" screwdriver and get to it from the top. But, that won't help you on the road or when the top is on. What I have is a big screwdriver that I found at ACE Hardware that was a straight shaft that didn't have the funky taper at the tip like most...works like a dream. You can go to a local auto parts store and get a Holley jet wrench, which is basically a screwdriver that is not tapered and will fit through the hole. Just take a jet with you or measure the hole before you buy it.

Not to hyjack this post, but I just thought that I would share a comment about adjustable jets for the 94's. Mine leak like hell and wont quit! I'm pulling the adjustable jets out and reinstalling my old jets. Good idea for the adjustability, unfortunately it just didn't bake in the oven long enough. I also had to slot my bases to get them to clear the carb housings on a regular dual intake....again, better engineering would have helped.

Good luck with the rebuild!

5. THanks guys.. i had thought to takea screwdriver and grind it, but thought that their must be a better way. Thanks. i will try all your methods to see which work best for me.
    tok