Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Carb plating,

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1927graham, Nov 17, 2014.

1. thanks. so they are powder coated?

2. I would think the "endurashine" is a coating not plating. the intakes I have seen look like a coating, but thats as far as my knowledge with them goes.

3. I would be interested in that device, thanks for the info.

4. I've decided to get rid of all the black fuel hose and go with the Banjo fittings and the wire clamps. Been talking with Charlie Price from Vintage Speed, seems like an OK place to do business with, any thoughts here? http://vintagespeed.com/

5. OEM carb finish is a chromate coating, in the case of carbs it is the gold color. Alodine is a different formula that does contain small amount of chromate, but is intended for aluminum. Chromate on zinc is a conversion coating that lowers the surface potential of the zinc to help with corrosion, and the chromate is the main reason. Alodine is a chemical conversion to make aluminum oxide on the surface, with small amount of chromate to help.

Since chromate is on the bad list from EPA (carcinogenic, being hexavalent chromium ions for the good gold color stuff), you probably can't get any as casual buyer for personal use. I would just take carbs apart and clean off the sprayed paint coating, then find a local zinc plating shop and ask them to just do the chromating of the carbs.

6. alchemy

alchemy

My brother had a horrible experience with Charlie Price. So have lots of HAMBers. Do a search for many threads on his exploits.

I'd suggest looking through the alliance vendors for those products. Or at the very least going to Speedway before Vintage Speed.

1927graham likes this.
  7. It's just a 4 stage paint job. Alsa corporation sells the paint to do it.

8. My kid ordered the banjo fittings from Speedway; probably the same parts as Charlie's; but quicker and easier to deal with.

1927graham likes this.
  9. Well, I did the thread search for Charlie Price, didn't have time to read them all tonight. This is one reason to be a HAMBER.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  10. I read the threads on Charlie Price @ Vintage Speed. As an update, I recently had 4 transactions with Vintage Speed and had absolutely no problems with his prices, shipping time and customer service. I will go to him again with my needs. I realize others may have had problems, I had none, and was treated well.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm going to disagree with that one.
    My new Strombergs. :)
    New 97s 002 (2).jpg New 97s 003 (2).jpg New 97s 004 (2).jpg

wedjim, 1927graham and loudbang like this.
  12. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Those carbs look great. Any problems with the coating getting into places it shouldn't or anything along those lines?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

1927graham likes this.
  13. Re: Dan at Carburetor Exchange in Riverside Ca or El Monte Ca....I just had 6 Holley 94's completely rebuilt along with chromate coloring...these carbs needed complete rebuild..they did an excellent job $110 per carb plus another $10 for the chromate...

1927graham likes this.
  14. 'Mo

'Mo

Thanks, Devin.
    There were no problems there.
    The first try, however, melted the carb bodies. Dan at Jet Hot stepped up to the plate with Brand New replacement carbs (!), and oversaw the process to deliver the product you see.
    I have had the same finish applied to a number of parts on a couple of sixes. I couldn't be happier.

1927graham likes this.