Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carb parts help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959apache, Mar 25, 2013.

1. 1959apache

1959apache

Well I got the carb cleaned out and put back together only to find that one of my tiny clips/keys broke off the metal linkage to the butterfly valve and is nowhere to be found. I cannot find a place to get them or any information online at all. Anyone have any ideas where to get them? Anyone have some lying around?

Rochester Model 2b, you can see the tiny clip/key in the first picture on the right and it is gone on the left.

[​IMG]

2. 1959apache

1959apache

it is also called the "rod retainer" clip.

3. saltracer219

saltracer219

The new kit you installed should have had replacement clips included in it.

4. 1959apache

1959apache

it doesn't, the little chinese kid must have forgotten to put them in

5. saltracer219

saltracer219

If you want to wait a few days for them to get there, P.M. me your address and I'll drop a few in an envelope and send them to you.

6. They're also known as "jesus clips"... when it goes flying, "jesus, where did that go?".

Any decent parts house should have a bin of them.

Bob

7. 1959apache

1959apache

lol, thanks Bob. The key word is "decent"

8. 1959apache

1959apache

PM sent, thanks saltracer!

9. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Ace Hardware Store

10. carbking

carbking

The clip in the picture is called a pin spring. While Rochester used a very few pin springs, a much more common item for Rochester was simply called a clip. The Rochester clip was an almost square piece of sheet metal with a groove cut from the center, causing the resultant look similar to the letter "U". The clip was installed by inserting the groove of the clip over the groove in the linkage rod, and then bending the two ends of the clip preventing the clip from coming off.

These clips are much more common in the repair kits for Rochester. And are much more difficult for the average enthusiast to use.

On a related note, Snap-On makes a ridiculously priced tool for inserting/removing the pin springs that is worth every penny!!!! The tool consists of a small brass tube with a hook at one end and a spring-loaded push button at the other. The hook and the button are connected by a tiny rod that goes through the tube. Depressing the button allows one to "hook" the end of the pin spring; releasing the button will then capture the pin spring and it can be removed from the carburetor and retaining on the tool until needed. When needed, the pin spring is easy to insert on the linkage using the tool.

And Napa Auto Parts stores carry (or at least did carry) different sizes of both the pin springs and the clips.

Jon.

11. 1959apache

1959apache

You think they have something that small? Do they sell them in a pack of ten or something?

12. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

If your not all hung up on originality , a small "C" clip will work on those..

dave

13. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

I've got some, Scott...

14. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I guess most stores are set up the same. In the back there's an aisle with the nuts, bolts, and other miscellaneous hardware. Bring the part with you and ask the employee to find you a clip, any clip, that you can use on it.

He's bound to find something. That place is a MacGuyver paradise.

15. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. 1959apache

1959apache

I have one down the street, i'll check it out.

I forgot to even ask you, you are the first number in my phone too :D:D

Thanks everyone for the help