Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carb issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dean13, Jul 5, 2011.

1. dean13

dean13

Carb guys* I have an issue with I believe my carb. It is a 750 Holley on a 351c. The motor is a new rebuild, about 125 miles on it. I have not been able to get this thing to idle right yet. It starts fine, runs at hiway speed fine, but as soon as it gets to operating temp and in gear it will about quit. I have even tried my Edelbrock 650, same thing, only worse in drive. I have 10 in of vac in park, obout 5-6 in gear. Called Holley, power valve has been changed to a 2.5, But, I've tried 3.5, 4.5, 6.5, with no help at idle. Float level is correct. I rewired the car over the Winter, the only old part in the wireing is the ballast res. Would this cause any issues? These are new carbs also. When the engine was dynoed it bent a push rod on the last pull. The guy who built the engine changed rods, but we didn't run it back on the dyno. static comp runs about 155 on all, cold. Any help with this issue would be great. I am not by any means a engine guy, I do what I can to keep it running. At this point I'm out of ideas. Thanks in advance. dean

2. Sounds like either something more than a pushrod bent on the dyno or the valves are too tight.

3. dean, if you bent a pushrod on a pull, you need to find out why that happened and go from there. I hope you know which cylinder or which pushrod bent and begin diagnosing why. Chances are you will also find your answer to your original question. Like Ive said many times, 99% of the time, its NOT the carb. Sorry, you can say what you want but " from what you have posted ", that engine shouldn't have left the dyno, or the guy and his shop that built it. In the engine builders defence, did the engine idle there while on the dyno? It would be reasonably safe to say, he wasn't doing full pulls without the engine being up to temp. Was the oil filter cut open at the end of the session?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  4. dean13

dean13

Finally got the motor back in the T. Took it back to the builder, took the intake off, checked ALL pushrods, checked lifters for scuffing, did a leak down, only 3-4%. Went back on the dyno, set up the Holly and the Edelbrock. The Holley idled better, only 10 hp difference at 6000.Suprised the builder as he figured the Edelbrock would be in the 300's . Went back to a 4 hole spacer. Changed to a 4000 stall Hughes.Idles at 1000, about 850-900 in gear.Nice and smooth now. The only issue with it now is-- After it sits over night the motor seems like it is flooded. Nasty firing of cylinders and black smoke until the thing warms up. After that, runs great. Any ideas on this problem. Thanks