Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Carb ID help- 30 Model-A, stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Motobot, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Motobot

Motobot

I need some help identifying an updraft carb on my stock 30 Model-A. It's clearly an aftermarket carb. But has no visible markings, tags or numbers of any kind. It's similar looking to a Tilotson carb, but the bowl is slightly different.
    (Reference images attached)
    The carb is in need of a rebuild and I'm looking to buy a kit. I'm not able to buy a kit since I have no idea what brand it is.
    Before I remove and disassemble and most certainly destroy gaskets, I'd like to be able to have a rebuild kit standing by.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks in advance!
    KC

Attached Files:

2. PhredH

PhredH

It may be a Marvel carb. I believe they did not have any markings.
    Bert's Model A Store in Denver can probably help ID and also let you know what rebuild parts are available.
    Also the FordBarn.com Model A forum may be of good assistance also.
    Peace, Phred

3. carbking

carbking

Designed by Rayfield, and produced by the Marvel/Schebler Division of Borg-Warner.

Original sold with a "water decal" name stuck on the end of the bowl (would you want your name permanently on this thing? ;) ). Nam du jour could be Wizard, Rayfield, Marvel/Schebler, Johnson, and who knows what else.

Marketed through such outlets as Western Auto, J.C. Whitney, and Warshawski & Co to customers too frugal to purchase a gasket kit for the original Zenith carburetor.

To my knowledge, no parts are now, or every have been, available. It was sold as a disposable (read throw-away) replacement carburetor, kind of like some of the "new" replacement carburetors of today.

Lots of vendors with original Zenith carbs for sale.

Jon.

4. flyin-t

flyin-t

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018

5. carbking

carbking

Flying-T - looks like someone thinks they are worth saving, thanks for posting.

Would still much rather have the originals. Ford and Zenith recognized that the internal venturi was too small when they brought out the Model B carbs. When still rebuilding carbs, we would recalibrate the A carb with a new venturi cut to B specs, and recalibrated the jets according. Made a large different in power.

Jon.

flyin-t likes this.
  6. Motobot

Motobot

Many thanks for all the help! I had to learn some lessons the hard way when I purchased this A. Good news is, I'm smarter than I was before I bought it. So that's good. Ha
    You guys are great, thanks for your help. I'm going to check the links and hopefully be back up and running soon.
    KC