Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Carb icing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phat rat, Dec 25, 2019.

1. phat rat

phat rat

Has anyone here had experience with a 3 X 2 Offenhouser intake Dodge Hemi causing carb icing? I have sweating in the summer but yesterday I had the T out and boy did the center carb base and intake right under the center carb ice up. Wondering if anyone has come up with a cure. I'm trying to figure a way to get heat there but so far I'm brain dead on an answer. Being this is all out in the open I don't want something that looks like sh%&t. It's the T pictured below so no heater either

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  2. gene-koning

gene-koning

Probably going to look like shit, but running a tube with engine coolant passing through under the intake, or along side the base of the carbs will probably solve the carbs icing problems. A guy could use a polished tube with a shutoff valve at the rear for summer use. Gene

Deuces, Hnstray and loudbang like this.
  3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

It would work if you don't have a heater in the cat also, just get it to the carb and return it.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    Deuces and loudbang like this.
  4. phat rat

phat rat

Thanks Gene, but even in the summer it makes enough condensation to splash up on the windshield

loudbang likes this.

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Are you using e-10 or regular fuel?

loudbang likes this.
  6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

The heat transfer passage in your intake must be plugged with carbon . Every Mopar I have ever touched had this issue . I would see NEW ones in the 70s with carb issues, that required removing the intake and cleaning the passage . I remember one that required an air chisel and a drill it was so plugged up . Lots of people use the plates to block off the exhaust from under the intake when racing or living in warm climates .

7. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

All three carbs connected ?

8. It looks like crap. My 6 cyl Hercules in my lincoli carb icing 001.JPG carb icing 002.JPG n welder iced terrible . I ran a copper tube( stolen from the still) from the exhaust and wrapped it around the intake. cured the problem. You are going to have to heat the intake manifold.

9. carbking

carbking

The above plus, check your mixture settings. Too rich a mixture can either cause sweating/icing or if already present, make it worse.

Jon.

6inarow likes this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Carbking, I looked up this thread because I am experiencing a similar issue. I have three 97's on a 471 blown flathead. Only the rear carb is sweating. The blade is closed at idle (progressive linkage). The front carb is also closed at idle and doesn't sweat and of course the center (main) carb is not sweating. Why just the rear carb? Seen this before? It was 60 yesterday and it fogged up before the engine was at operating temp and was noticeably cool to the touch compared to the other two. Curious to know if you have run across something similar.
    All three carbs are new 97's from Clive.

11. carbking

carbking

Try switching the front and rear carbs to see if the sweating follows the carburetor or the position.

Jon.

firstinsteele likes this.
  12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it is sweating, then you have air moving through it and gasoline being vaporized. Maybe the throttle blades aren't completely closing, or are not fitting correctly in the throat.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  13. carbking

carbking

Ebbsspeed - agree with your comments, which is why I suggested switching the front/rear carbs.

If the problem follows the carb, then the carb needs to be looked at.
    If the problem follows the position, then possibly the linkage is not allowing complete closure of the plates.
    If the problem disappears for some reason, then leave it as is ;)

I really like to do some testing, it often erases the need for a long thread. And the OP gets to enjoy the vehicle sooner.

Jon.

Bandit Billy and kadillackid like this.
  14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like this suggestion. I'll switch 1 for 3 and see what happens. i'll be back

15. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Back in the early seventies, I had a Volkswagen bug that ran great and I cut it up and made a Baja bug out of it. When completed, the engine was no longer covered and out in the open. I suddenly had problems with carburetor icing and it would ice up and quit running until the ice melted. I put the engine in another bug that wasn't all cut up and no more problem. I remember that a kit was offered to fix the icing up of the Baja bugs. Flying small non fuel injected airplanes will have a carburetor heater lever to heat the carburetor when the manifold pressure drops or the engine starts to miss from icing up. The design of the carburetor, sitting above the engine in the breeze is causing the problem. A four barrel will solve the problem or lowering the carburetor to get heat as its coming off the radiator.

Carb icing explained.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...DDD4CD18F9E616C444D6DDD&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    Bandit Billy likes this.