Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carb cleaning solution recipie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by torchmen49, Sep 2, 2006.

1. torchmen49

torchmen49

Anyone have a formula for making carb cleaner? Seems like all the good commercialy available solutions are so "environmentaly freindly" they forget to clean the parts. I'm going to build a carb soaking tank and want to know if there might be some "homebrewed" solutions out there.There was an old guy in town who had a carb shop, his cleaner was amazing, but the recipie died with him. Maybe "it" got him. ?? :cool:

2. lolife

lolife

Find an used dishwasher, and put it in a corner of the garage. Then use Draino to wash everything. Skip the heat dry, and let the parts air dry.
    Don't open the door to see how it's going. Shut it off first. Wear goggles and a dish washers bib. Let all the poop empty into a gravel pit instead of your septic.

3. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Hmm... I've been stripping paint, degreasing axle housings, washing out transmissions, oh... and cleaning carbs with the Valuecraft carb cleaner from Auto Zone quite a bit lately. It's in an aerosol can, so it isn't cheap, but it is stout enough to burn your skin. I also use the berryman carb cleaner in the 1 gallon bucket when I want to soak something. What are you buying?

4. That's hardcore dude.

5. Carb-Otto

Carb-Otto
    from FINkLAND

Yeah, really hardcore! But why not, if it works?!
    I've cleaned carbs usually with fuel. After that, I've used plywood pieces that I made, bolted 'em into carb halves, and then glassbead blasted 'em. Inside stays clean! Ofcourse you need small screws etc for vacuum inlet ports etc

But what after cleaning carbs, what are you going to do? Polishing, painting, plating..?

6. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

I used to clean my mcculloch kart motors in the dishwasher, be careful it will remove paint, ruined the perfect factory crinkle paint on a fan shroud! The dishwasher rocks, For carb solutions I like McKay parts one gallon dip tanks for carbs.

7. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Hardcore is using the one in the kitchen....

8. Carb-Otto

Carb-Otto
    from FINkLAND

...after you've cleaned carbs in it!!

9. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

My brother recently used a one to three day soak in straight vinegar. We had the dual Carters to do and one was way worse off then the other. So he soaked the better of the two for one day and the other for three. Sounds silly, but it worked great. Thanks a fellow HAMBer dabirdguy for this one.

Vance