Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Car with no keys!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zombiefink, Sep 19, 2020.

1. 5window

5window

Would probably be not too expensive to mail the cylinder to the US and have a HAMBer take care of it for you, but if you have the code,then that could be done elsewhere,too.

2. So are you saying you can start the car without the key? Like the lock is broken? If so, you may need more than just a key.

3. I suspect that they might even be different from state-to-state here in the U.S.
    :p

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  4. Way overthinking it.

46international and squirrel like this.
  5. squirrel

squirrel

lots of those GMs back then had an ignition lock that had three positions: Lock, Off, and On. If you remove the key when it's in the Off position, then you can switch it to On without the key, but you can't move it to Lock, and anyone can drive the car without the key.

6. squirrel

squirrel

I went out to the shop and found my bag of old locks. Here are the cylinders from some...the long one is a door lock from a 50s chevy truck, the smallest is a glovebox lock, and there is an ignition lock cylinder in there, too.

The common theme is that you have to get the lock cylinder out of the barrel, to see the stamped number.

locks.jpg

The funniest part of the situation with the locksmith not wanting to work on it, is that the fellow is trying to make it so he can lock the car...not unlock....it's already unlocked.

54delray and 427 sleeper like this.
  7. The PO of my '50 chevy panel truck shaved the driver/passenger door key locks but left the key lock on the cargo door(s). The truck literally can't be locked. I'm just careful where I park it and what I leave in it.
    It does have an ignition cut-off, but still......?

8. Thanks. learn something every day!

54delray likes this.
  9. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Hidden switch that cuts electricity to ignition switch.

10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

How about reading the whole thread before giving an opinion like that newbee ?

54delray, Truck64 and wvenfield like this.
  11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Did you NAPA gold filters are made by WIX?

12. GTS225

GTS225

Psst! Drey......check the post dates. This thread is a year old.

(Yep, I've been caught with that, too.)

Roger

54delray likes this.