Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car Storage- How Best To Do It?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rckt98, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Rckt98

Rckt98

We are moving overseas for 12 months (or possibly longer) and I am putting my 56 Olds coupe into storage. What needs to be done to the car other than the obvious disconnecting battery & putting up on blocks. Should the gas tank & radiator be drained? what about brake fluid sitting?Have just got it mobile again after rebuilding trans, really don't want to face another rebuild later on any part of the car. Thanks.

2. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I´d make sure that the gas tank is filled up to the neck, the less oxygen is in there the less corrosion you ´ll have to be afraid of.
    Add antifreeze to the coolant to avoid rust and cracks if it´s getting cold during the winter.
    Drive the car for a couple of miles to get all the water caused by condensation out of your engine, exhaust and use the brakes frequently to make them hot and dry.
    Maybe an oil change is a good idea too. Remove the spark plugs and give the cylinders a shot of WD40.

That´s just what I do to preserve my cars for the winter here in Germany, but what´s really necessary depends on the climate .

I´ve never had any problems that way.

3. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Rckt98, not knowing what part of the country you live, (or will be stroring the car)
    following Baumi's suggestions are an ABSOLUTE MINIMUM!
    Especially if for a year or more.

Plus, if the car is stored inside, a DUST COVER (mine is made up with FLANEL sheets) will keep the finish clean as well.

If your storing the car outside; a flanel cover UNDER a TARP will keep the tarp from rubbing the paint. Make sure the tarp is WELL tied down so wind can't shift it around.

One more thing that I have to deal with in my part of the country is RODENTS.
    Mice in particular.
    If there are ANY small openings - firewall, trunk, floorboards - either cover them with good old "DUCT TAPE" or stuff them with "steel wool" (the little buggers don't like the taste) to keep them from getting INSIDE the car, and setting up "residence."
    (they can get through holes the size of your little finger!)

They have a "hankering" for some kinds of upholstry, (and the foam padding!) and the "Deposits" they can leave behind can STINK for months after!

4. If you're putting the car up on stands or blocks don't leave the suspension hanging. Get it up high enough to relieve some pressure from the suspension, but so the tires are still touching ground, or block the wheels so they are not in mid-air.

If humidity is a problem (are you north or south island?) you may want to look into silicon moisture eaters. Place one in each footwell in a tin pan (fairly deep, these things suck up a suprising amount of water. A pie plate won't be deep enough).

Tarps trap moisture, so if you're car is stored outside make sure you use a breathable tarp.

Change all your fluids and top them up. Throw a bottle of stabilizer in the gas tank.

Enjoy your trip. :D

5. 55olds88

55olds88

all sound like good ideas, or leave it at my place and I will drive it from time to time :)

6. Rckt98

Rckt98

Thanks guys. It will be stored inside a dry shed and our winters in top 1/2 of the North Island don't get cold enough to freeze stuff up.I'm hoping winters in California will be warmer than here though.

7. Hi Russ,
    you able to get the product-"Stabil"[sp?] over there?
    [A fuel preservative] for long term storage....

I have also heard one of the small units [4oz] chain saw / two cycle oils added to a full tank of gas ,will do the same thing.....
    DO NOT drain the tank or carburetor....
    Also ,spray the brake shoes/pads with a little shot of WD40 or Gibbs to prevent them sticking to the drums.

8. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

you're coming to california? :confused:

9. steevil

steevil

I wouldn't block the car up. The simple reason is if the car needed to be moved in a hurry (ei: shed is on fire!)...

You would be better of removing the wheels and putting it on some shop rollers.

1, Change all fluids. Used oils can be corrosive.
    2, add fuel stabilizer to the full gas tank
    3, flush the rad and add straight anti-freeze. Used antifreeze can be corrosive.
    4, remove the battery
    5, a fresh coat of wax and a car cover
    6, leave the vents open and/or crack a window slightly.
    7, I have heard that mothballs will keep the rodents out but the smell of mothballs will stick around the interior for a long time..
    8, a shot of light oil sprayed in the spark plug holes.
    9, a cup of mothballs in the engine bay will keep the rodents from chewing on the wiring.

A year isn't really that long to park a car

10. The best way to store a engine is with fogging oil. Just spray it though the intake. You can find it at any marina supply store. I wouldn't spray wd-40 on anything.

11. Rckt98

Rckt98

Yep, looking at around 12 months. Hoping to meet some HAMBers once we get organised there. Looking foward to attending as many car events as possible. Have been to the States a couple of times before so it won't be a huge culture shock for us.

12. Rckt98

Rckt98

Hey Kenny, how's it going? Do you ever get out to California, it would be good to catch up with you again. I think I owe you a Soda?

13. 55olds88

55olds88

hope you have plenty of room to stash all the stuff I will be sending you....