Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car stalls for a second going around corners - Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stickylifter, Aug 24, 2005.

1. The Heap has recently developed an annoying problem. If I'm going around a corner at a low speed, not really accelerating, the engine stalls just for a second. This is annoying as hell! Any guesses?

I have a new tank in the car (plasic/urethane/whatever) and I run premium. The fuel filter looks good, and I filled the tank and got the same results...

You ever give an old car some gas, and it stalls for a second and then goes? It acts like that, but while I'm driving low speed, not really accelerating, and only around corners!?!?! And the carb is a brand new Edelbrock that runs great.

I'm flummoxed.

Any ideas?

2. Fender

Fender
    BANNED
    from Detroit,MI

could be a low float level. Sometimes edlebrock carbs are set to low from out of the box.

3. squirrel

squirrel

one other one from my memory banks...on a 383 mopar with the orignal ignition coil mounted sidways like they did, the coil ran low of oil and when going around a corner it would quit working.

I brought this up just as a curiousity, it's most likely a float level problem, but might check the wiring just in case, I also had an old truck with a 6 with a loose coil-dist wire that would lose connection on corners and under acceleration.

4. AHotRod

AHotRod

It's the float level not set at the correct height, but even when it IS set correctly, if you corner HARD, it will still stumble....a AFB charactoristic.

5. Kruzer63

Kruzer63

I agree, check your float level and if it still does it I have found changing to an Off Road needle and seat assembly will solve it. For some reason this will happen on some and not on others. My brothers hotrod has a edelbrock 750 and it did that exact same thing, we put in an off road needle and seat assembly and it solved it. Where as it worked fine on my 53 when i put an edelbrock on there as is.

6. Every time I would turn left in my old Buick the car would shut off. Had the floats checked and a rebuild on the carb, problem fixed.

7. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Don't turn.

Ever.

(I just wanted to say that. Its a float thing, though.)

8. Thanks! I'll check the float and let you all know.

9. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

i agree with the float leval and all so check your idle. ya know how it stalls all the time when u first start it... oooo one more thing to look at to is the choke. i forget if you have electric or manual but i had a car do the same thing and the choke plate was shutting...

10. DooooooD! Don't embarass me in front of the HAMB! It only stalls when I'm hanging out with you. That's just because I'm usually next to you in a thick cloud of smoke because you run those mean-sounding straight pipes! :) There's no oxygen! *cough* *cough*

11. brandon

brandon

my edelbrock on my 47 does it .....around the curve.....starts to hestate.....brandon

12. 62 wagon

62 wagon
    from DETROIT

I think it might be your ex band mates f-ing with your shit why you got to break up the band yoko:D

13. My 65 Caddy vert with an AFB & my 64 Coupe De Ville with an AFB both did exactly what you describe, float level was prob on both cars....

14. toledobill

toledobill

Hate to hop on the bandwagon late but -- yes, indeed, every time I had this problem, it was fixed with the float bowl. Too low, and the carb thought it was out of gas because the fuel sloshed to the other side of the bowl.

15. TINGLER

TINGLER

Its probably the float, but also make sure you are running the right fuel pressure. Edelbrocks like a certain fuel pressure and if you are over that, you get some weird things going on.

My Edelbrock manual states that you should be below 6 psi. It says that some later model fuel pumps give more than 6 psi.....it also goes on to say that one symptom of this is STALLING IN QUICK TURNS.

So, if the float doesn't fix it, then make sure you are running around 5.5psi of fuel pressure.

Hope this helps.

TINGLER

16. Aw, man, is this all you see when you look at me, Chris? C'mon, brothers... I can't get no respect from my own people!

Attached Files:

17. Seriously though, thanks to all you guys for the tips. I have a fuel pressure regulator and a guage that I have been meaning to install, so I'll try that and the float bowl adjustment.

18. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

You obviously have one of those rare "Drag Race Only" cars. They only run good for a quarter of a mile, and only in a straight line.

19. Nah, the problem was just masked until recently. I have only recntly started slowing down around corners.

20. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

u need a boob job there getting saggy in your old age... if the car fixed yet damnit?:D :D

21. HA HA HA!

I wil probably have to wait for Saturday to fix it. I have a painting to finish up and now I gotta buy a new washer and dryer tonight. :(
    I have just been bleeeding money this month.
    Waaah! Cry for me!
    I gotta hook up and get that hole saw from you though.
    See ya!

22. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

well if ya got a min tonight ill be out in the garage putting new heads on all night. and my intake will be off so u can see how cool the hole is:D

23. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

fucking ass!:D :rolleyes:

24. I put a fuel pressure regulator on it, set it st 6 lbs, and no more problem. Plus the little fuel pressure guage looks great! (chrome of course)