Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can't wash my 40 anymore (rant)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalman, Jun 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

It is law in California. I was warned. I pull my truck on the lawn and wash it.

2. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

I feel your pain man....

3. Sounds like a business opportunity to me open a car wash.
    Oops bet some city legislator already owns the car waahes and made a law that you need to use them.

4. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

Exactly. California is getting ridiculous. Where I live you can't keep vehicles in your own driveway unless they are current on tags and are driven regularly. No trailers in drive or boats or nothing. Pricks!

5. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

No, exactly the opposite in modern systems in the States (may still be some real old systems that haven't been updated yet- now Mexico is something different)- storm drains, sewers and water, for the most part (and all new stuff) are completely separate systems, and even different types of piping. Storm drain these days is usually either HDPE plastic or reinforced concrete, depending on depth and loading, sewer is usually clay or SDR35 or SDR26 plastic, or sometimes something more substantial if it a pressure ("force") main. Water mains are usually ductile iron or C900/C905 thickwall plastic, and usually new construction also includes recycled water mains which are usually the heavy plastic but purple in color. Large cities like San Francisco may even have a completely separate HP fire main system. In smaller cities and towns, domestic and fire water are usually a common system until onsite, where fire and domestic will get divided with backflow preventers, alarms and such. Storm typically flows directly to the river, bay, whatever, but nowadays we have to install a lot of filters in the catch basins, which of course have to be regularly cleaned. Sanitary Sewer lines go to the treatment plant, and anything with a potential for grease or oil, like restaurants, car washes etc. have to install a grease interceptor, which resembles a modern septic tank taken to the next level (and more expensive) then screened, treated in various ways and usually spending some time in a holding pond to digest and solids settle out, and not released into the river or bay, or into the recycled water system for irrigation and such until it tests pretty clean (unless there's a boo-boo or the system gets overloaded). Yes, I build streets and highways including installing utilities. There are even standards for how close together the various pipelines can be in the ground. And one of the worst jobs around is manually cleaning the primary screens at the sewage plant- which catch the condoms, tampons etc. :eek:

6. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^ this ! ^^^^^

7. docmike

docmike

Maybe the rat rod guys know something we don't. If it looks like $h!t there is no reason to wash it. [​IMG]

I wonder if anyone would get upset if you quit mowing your lawn because of all the exhaust polution you lawn mower puts out?

Doc

8. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

That really sucks

9. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

I own my own mobile detailing company and have to deal with this sh!t on a daily bases.
    I have to make sure all water run off is contained,sucked up and proof I depose of it properly.They stop me at least once a week. I have to have a state lic.,every city I work in I have to have their permits its real pain in the rear.

I would suggest your back yard in the evening. Just remember your on his radar now so he will be watching you like a hawk.

good luck

10. Time to invest in Dri-wash'n guard stock. I live in the country in Or. & have my own well & septic system so don't have that problem but I do feel your pain. The house in Az has a charge for water + the delivery & a charge for sewer & when I'm not there they charge to turn the water off & on everytime or you pay a minimum base rate when not in use. The crooks wanted to sell insurance to repair the water line, if it broke, from the meter to the house. It's PVC 80 schedule. I think their office is in Chicago or New York. HMMMN?

11. chaddilac

chaddilac

What about when the attendant is out there spraying off the concrete... that runs into the rain gutter down on the street.

I didn't know they recycle water, that's cool!

12. no55mad

no55mad

A buddy works in a hot rod shop in San Jose, Ca. They have to collect the water that sheds off the roof and treat it as hazardous waste.
    Farmers have to collect and treat any irrigation water run off to drinking water standards.

13. Uptown83

Uptown83

Damn man that sucks! Never would of thought of such a crazy thing. It's so weird don't even know what to think.

14. Kramer

Kramer

How do they stop the rain from from washing off a driveway. Or does it not rain in Albuquerque?

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Car washes recycle their water for the most part. They can't afford to waste water.

16. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

you can also use a waterless set up pm me if you want some info on products and suppliers

17. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

Like my 19 year old keeps saying, "This is no lomnger a free country!"

We had a bunch try and bring a hunter up on charges around Waco for taking a crap in the woods! Said he was poluting! Thankfully the Judge was not a tree hugger at all and questioned the whole thing asked the group trying to press the charges about all the cattle and wild animals that live in the woods and crap there every day. He threw the case out.

This sorta of thing is only going to get worse if we don't stand against it.

18. metalman

metalman

True, its not illegal to wash your car, it's not containing the overflow is what they cited me for. I asked him how I can wash the car without overflow and he just smiled and said "you can't". So basically he told me I can't wash me car unless I put it in the yard which is preety ovious to him I can't due to walls, trees, ect. If I do manage to put it in the yard, he warned me not to get water on the sidewalk or thats a fine. Same with sprinklers, if the wind blows water from your sprinklers onto your sidewalk you can be fined, so it says in the nice little pamplet he gave me titled "Water Waste, what you don't know can cost you". That's the part I love, the what you don't know can cost you. Make rules, fine people for breaking them but no warning or public input.

19. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

The BTK killer, Dennis Rader was one of those pricks who came by and fined you if your grass was not mowed evenly...........It takes a special person to do that job

20. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Thats what I'm starting to think!!!!!! That is a buch of bullshit. I'm pretty sure its better that we care for these things and keep them maintained rather than letting them sit in the woods and leak oil all over and rot into the ground! When we pull a car out of the woods and get it driving again that is recycling at its finest I think!! None of this uh well its broke throw it away...

21. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

That is just plain goofy! Who thinks this crap up?

22. dadsdreamcar

dadsdreamcar

wow, tax dollars at work there! reminds me of the letter i got from the county. i live a quarter mile off the road,and said i had to many old cars. i ask them how they knew<they said by satelite

23. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

Do some research on what they purposely put in our drinking water. Fluoride etc. Don't believe that it just that they want you to have good teeth.

24. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

If the prohibition is on runoff...wash the car on your grass with biodegradable soap...you can ALWAYS be smarter than the dickhead coming to make sure you measure up to some dumb ass code...

25. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Are you actually going to do something about this, or just pout & cry about it?
    Take a stand, join with others and change what sounds like standard operating procedures. Get involved, if some one doesn't, things will continue along as is. Gene

26. metalman

metalman

No, not going to sit on this one. They told me I'll have the opportunity of a hearing if I want it, I dought if I'll beat it but at least I'll let them know how I feel.

27. bigdaddylove

bigdaddylove

Really?!? You had to go there?!?

Look, I'm a eco-firendly, SF Bay Area liberal which I guess makes me an asshat, too (whatever that is). I own a hot rod, a few guns and oppose most government interference in people's daily lives. That said, I find ticketing someone for simply washing their car rather ridiculous. Now, if one were de-greasing the engine/undercarriage or letting water run and run down the drain beyond what a reasonable person consider acceptable, that would be a completely different story.

I guess what I am trying to say is don't be a dick and make assumptions about people based on their political affiliation because all politicians, democrat and republican, are liars and assholes. Also, there is a real need for laws to protect the environment; (individual and corporate stupidity have made it necessary) it just needs to be done with a little more common sense.

OP, I'd fight the ticket, I gotten out of half of my tickets just because the cop didn't show or remember the details. :p

28. 69Chevelle454

69Chevelle454
    from Texas

Move to Texas, we start shooting politicians who try to take away our freedoms.

29. Maybe your Mayor owns the local Car Wash!:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.