Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can't wash my 40 anymore (rant)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalman, Jun 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

This is exactly right. Become active in your local govt. and help straighten things out.

Out west the EPA is already flying drones. Fortunately, they aren't armed.....Yet. :eek::eek::eek:

2. tjm73

tjm73

Close the garage door and wash your car at night.

3. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fdh1bR7P3ZE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. eddie1

eddie1

Not to highjack this thread or anything but I have had a low flow toilet for 3 years now. How much water am I saving if I have to flush twice to get rid of #2?

5. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Sorry If I sound angry also.I got a 100 dollar ticket for parking on the lawn,Tried to get me also on boats,Not a motorized vehicle but considered a watercraft.....I park on the lawn after there hours............

6. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Ah, the GREENIES are getting their way in NM now!
    We will lose the war if we don't start to become more vocal!
    Laws and regulations are be introduced, that are continually taking away more of our personal freedoms. Stay informed and remember when you vote who brought all these regulations to the forefront!
    To the moderators, if you deem this inappropriate feel free to delete, my feelings won't be hurt.
    KK

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  7. Beau

Beau

Why the hell do they charge us for it on the water bill then? It's runoff. I would be furious!

Next time just do it in the grass.

8. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

you mean like a theif?

9. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I just looked at the City of Albuquerque website; I found a restriction for washing water off your driveway into the street, but it didn't specifically say anything about washing a car. There was another mention of how to conserve water while washing your car, which would indicate it's not banned, just don't let the water run out into the street. http://www.abcwua.org/content/view/70/60/

10. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Maybe you should wash your "equipment" in the driveway and see what they say ;)

What about all the fertilizers washing into the sewers? That crap is WAYYYYY more dangerous than oil film off of a car.

11. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Somebody needs a REAL job !!!

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'd be going to the next city council meeting over that one. It may not help, but there is a lot of satisfaction in looking an asshole in his/her face, while they make an ass out of themselves. All you have to do is ask them what happens when the rain washes all the "other" crap that a gutter collects, into the river.

Regardless of what the answer is, just give a loud, long, hilarious laugh, while shaking your head, as you turn and walk out. Don't say anything. Just walk out and let them swim in thier own shit.

13. 32Auburn

32Auburn
    from Oregon

I just installed a dual flush toilet in a rental, one flush for liquids and a different one for butt nuggets. Point is that water is the next major disaster and everyone will over react first and ask questions later. Should drive some new business' too. Protecting rivers is not a bad idea but they should make it easier for the homeowner to come up with a solution and not fine people right out of the gate.

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I know the car washes here filter and recycle the water through again. But then we've been in drought conditions off and on for the last few years.

15. toddwith2ds

toddwith2ds
    from AZ

Bring the rain argument up at the next city hall meeting. Fight it in court. Hopefully the judge isn't a total f head. then campaign like heel to get the supporters of the ordnance thrown out.

16. hogridenfool

hogridenfool
    from chicago

One of the $100,000.00 a year rocket scientist, that is in fleet management with the City of Chicago, who has the power to buy equipment,well he bought an old Ford rotundra drivethu car wash that they use in the dealers,these havent been used in years,he paid $28,000.00 for it (plus he bought $50,000.00 worth of useless equipment)they contacted a company to have it installed they wanted $225,000.00 to install it,dig out the floor put a triple water filtering system in to the sewer for the dirty water from the car wash per EPA regulations,plus to modify the car wash machine so it can wash a van.
    well needless to say it was never installed,the last I seen of it it left out on the back of a flat bed.

17. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I had to check the date to make sure it wasn't an old post from April 1st! I feel sorry for you. Up here we have more than our fair share of rain and I thank god for it. Our trouble is two-fold. One, our urban growth has sky rocketed and developers/gov't have made no provisions for expanding our, used to be, large resevoirs. Secondly, there is a reactionary knee jerk segment of the population that swallows any type of enviro BS that is ladled out to them. Well thought out approaches to problems are needed. Unfortunately for us, whatever is the latest placebo in the states, especially CA, we tend to copy about ten years later. I would follow the advice of others and get to local gov't meetings, sign up like minded people so you can be a part of a special interest group which politicians live in fear of, and wash your car after the bastards go home for the day. How do your neighbours feel about it? Good luck.

18. cheveey57

cheveey57

When the prick tries writing the ticket just keep blasting him with the hose. At least it'll be worth it.

19. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Being in CA it doesn't surprise me but to add a little clarity to the discussion...water that runs down the curb goes into a storm drain, water that comes from other sources in your home goes into the sewer. Storm drain runoff goes directly into a river or ocean, water from the sewer is treated before being released into the river/ocean. Here in San Diego you can wash your car on the grass or other surface where it does not runoff into the storm drains. I believe that the local car washes do not release waste water into the storm drains but into the sewer system.

Whatever the case, there are too many beauracrats intervening in our lives. Taking tax dollars out of our pockets to pay these idiots to hassle us is not creating jobs...

20. deto

deto

The government is NOT your friend... November can't get here soon enough...

21. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Well I do think this is On Topic due to the fact that the average do it yourselfer is being phased out... This should be a concern to all of us as.

I love that the great state of Indiana spent the money to actually print up numerous posters that point out that when dogs poop in the yard, they are also pooping in our beautiful streams and lakes. They are using tax dollars for this... What about the birds, squirrels, deer, fox, horses, cows, pigs, raccoons, mice and hundreds of other animals that naturally do the same???

I think most of this is about government jobs and also very select private jobs ( follow the money...)

22. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Not knowing your federal system all that well I'm curious as to the comment re: Obama. is this issue not a local one? Your EPA is a federal agency with allegiance only to itself (as all beauracracies are)?

23. think you'll find that in most places the sewer systems and storm drains flow into the same place, most cities do not separate them. And now that will cost billions to correct.

24. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

An argument at the next city council meeting (take HUNDREDS of your car buddies with you, if you don't belong to a club now is the time) is that you are just putting the dirt right back where it came from. If they had cleaner streets you would have a cleaner car!! Keep us informed as to how the council meeting turns out.

25. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

That's a huge problem here in Milwaukee! When it rains hard, partially treated sewage gets dumped directly into lake Michigan!
    I wonder where we're headed when we can't wash are own cars on our property!

26. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

27. Funny you should say that, the jackass mayor here is starting up an airplane with a camera on it for safety reasons, the cam can zoom in over 5 miles away and see right in your windows. the cost, only 90 grand a month to keep it flying! yet the roads are like driving on marbles from the asphalt going to shit and making big pot holes. How is that for big brother for ya!

Lancaster approves anti-crime surveillance plane

The Associated Press

Originally published 11:38 a.m., November 11, 2011
    Updated 12:38 p.m., November 11, 2011

LANCASTER, Calif. (AP) - A surveillance plane that would cruise the skies over this Southern California desert city has been approved by city council members who believe it will help fight crime, but critics worry it could turn out to be a "1984"-style invasion of privacy.

The City Council on Tuesday voted for a $90,000-a-month program that would have a Cessna 172 equipped with infrared imaging and high-tech video gear roam the city 10 hours a day. The plane would cruise at 1,000 to 3,000 feet and send video to the local Los Angeles County sheriff's station.

The so-called Law Enforcement Aerial Platform System, or LEAPS, could begin flying by May. It will cost $1.3 million to launch and $300 an hour to maintain.

Supporters say the plane would act like a flying patrol car that could, for instance, spot a home invasion robbery and an accident.

The plane's primary value is the ability "to see what's going on at the scene of a crime almost instantaneously," sheriff's Capt. Bob Jonsen of the Lancaster station told the Los Angeles Times (http://lat.ms/vcZgyd).

"It's our goal to become the safest city in America," said Mayor R. Rex Parris, an enthusiastic supporter.

The Mojave Desert city of 145,000 already is working toward that goal. The crime rate so far this year is down 16 percent from the same period in 2010; by year's end, it may have plunged 40 percent since 2007.

The plane would not be part of the Sheriff Department's Aero Bureau, which does not use its helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft for long-term or general surveillance.

Those aircraft mainly respond to aid calls from deputies for pursuits and crimes in progress.

"They're bouncing from one call to another...responding to things that are actually happening in real time," Aero Bureau Sgt. Jon Brick told The Associated Press. "If we're doing a surveillance, it's for a specific problem. We do not randomly surveil."

The idea of a plane roaming over the city worries civil rights groups and some citizens, who fear it may invade privacy or be used to target specific neighborhoods or people.

"I think we have a privacy problem, and I think the city is going to have a lot of lawsuits," resident Ed Galinda told the City Council on Tuesday.

The U.S. Department of Justice announced in August that it was investigating claims that sheriff's deputies discriminated against blacks and Latinos in Lancaster and neighboring Palmdale, especially those living in subsidized housing.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California has filed a state public records request to obtain information about the program, such as how long the video will be kept and whether the images will be public record.

"People who have done nothing wrong shouldn't have anything they do in their yards or homes subject to video surveillance from the sky," senior staff attorney Peter Bibring told the Times. "To the extent that it involves observing things which a typical pilot overhead might not be able to see, it raises serious constitutional questions."

The video is supposed to be encrypted and only designated deputies - not the pilot or city officials - are supposed to see the recordings, authorities said.

"The system follows existing law enforcement and citizen privacy protocol, as already established by the Sheriff's Department," according to a statement issued last week by Aero View LLC. The Lancaster company designed and built the plane along with Lancaster-based Spiral Technology, Inc.

The video could be kept for up to two years so that evidence could be available if an unreported crime is discovered later, Aero View said.

___

Information from: Los Angeles Times, http://www.latimes.com

28. Transslam

Transslam

oh how i love living in east tx in the woods!!!

29. Doesn't everybody wash their car with some sort of car wash soap, not dish soap? When I have a little left in the bucket I dump it in the flower bed, totally envrionmentally freindly.

On the other hand, unless I have mud hanging off the fenders I use microfiber cloths and some sort of mist like the Mothers product.

We have to face it, for most areas water is a big issue and it is only going to become even more important as populations spread into arrid places.

30. grf-x

grf-x

Metalmam, it is 'burque brother. it does not surprise me. It been years since I have lived back home in the land of entrapment.

Funny how they say your polluting the water, but all those living in the heights can water lawns that contain pesticides and fertilizers, and they can sell out NM landmarks like the petroglyphs to land grabbers so they can build big wasteful homes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.