Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Can't afford a 32 3 window, make one.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Turkey, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

I'm far from an expert on old style wishbones mounted to a later rear.
    Now that I've written that:
    The really cool brackets that you made and welded to the rear appear to only welded to the top of the rear. I think the torque of a late model engine will tear the welds loose. Braking forces will also work the welds.

A friend had a similar setup: '56 Chevy rear to stock style wishbones in a '34. He had the arms bolted to a bracket that was only welded to the bottom of the rear's tube. It took a few years but eventually one of the welds broke.

One solution would be to have a piece welded to the bottom of the axle and have that bolt to the original wishbone holes, also.

Still a great build! I just don't want you to lose it!

2. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

If you saw the welds up close you wouldn't think that. They are not going anywhere. Thanks for the in put.

3. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

This setup is modeled after a 32 5 window I had...only welded at the top and with a VERY healthy 327 ...I had no problems...I could beat that car like a Chinese P.O.W. You just have to be a good welder...thats all.

4. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

I have a Bell axle and can't stand the casting marks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's better.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  5. slepe67

slepe67

what, no progress????

haha, I jsut got my frame, not too far behind you now! Don't forget to post the firewall mounting pics in here for all our viewing pleasure, and we'll quit PMing you for them;) hahah pass the popcorn!

6. big robbowski

big robbowski

Keep up the good work Hot Turkey!

7. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

I have been working my ass off on the frickin surf board of mine. Hundreds of hours have been put into the body work, getting the door to fit and latch. Getting the windshield to fit and work was a job! Had to chop it three inches then make the opening right and get the hinges mounted. Too many hours to count. I was asked to post some pictures of how I put the firewall on. I put it all on tonight to take some pictures for those of you that asked. I am aslo putting in all the wood for the upholstery.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

With the feet bolted to the frame and the arms to the dash, it's solid. I ran a hose down the side and glassed it in so I can run wire for a light.[​IMG]

9. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

10. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

I have made many trips to Don Garlits to get all the measurments I needed to make mine right. Chris was nice enough to let me take all the time I needed to take pictures and notes. Here he is with my buddy Del.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  11. brewsir

brewsir

WOW...nice job!

12. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

This is the car that I go and see. It is the best 3 window I have ever seen!!![​IMG][​IMG]

olskl_dave and kiwijeff like this.
  13. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

Check out the plate on the back of the car.

14. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

Time to work on the bones,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had to fill all the nicks, holes and cuts with welds and the tiny ones with filler.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
    dearjose likes this.
  15. Crease

Crease

16. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

17. ltex old iron

ltex old iron
    BANNED

im not a big fan of fiberglass myself..but thats just me what else can you do when prices of a steel repro body are so insanely ridiculously priced...much left finding a real one worth building..32 ford car stuff is just crazy in price and if you had to settle for a glass one do what you can with it... a good looking car is a good looking car..

18. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

My little Shelby is still out there helping her daddy.[​IMG]

19. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

If any of you get the chance, you got to go to see the cars!!!!!
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  20. A Boner

A Boner

How much would it cost to have a Brookville 32 3w chopped by a shop that knows how to do it right?
    I am willing to bet that most fiberglass bodys cost about the same amount of $ as JUST the cost of the steel bodys chop!............the chop on a glass body is free!........or do you pay for the chop ,and the fiberglass body is free.

Your 32 is turning out great.............a cool hot rod, is a cool hot rod.:)

Rust never takes a vacation.

21. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

All the wood work is done for the upholstery. Guna look good! I'm still doing the mock up of the frame, need to get the drive shaft made, run fuel lines, brake line and run wire. Getting funner now!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  22. DeuceDog

DeuceDog
    from Breese, IL

Very nice...keep up the great work.
    DD

23. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

I'm having the upholstery done by Shrecks in Deland Florida. He is awesome!

24. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

looks great

is it just me or are the pictures loading all over the place?

25. woodbox

woodbox

Great job! Really enjoying your posts. If all you can find/afford is a glass body, there's no shame in that! You are involved and doin it, not just writing the cheques and taking the credit at the end!
    Go for it and have fun on the way!

26. PoPo

PoPo

steveo he forgets to hit return after inputting the link from this host site. It sucks having to scroll across but I love this build!! great work man.

27. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

Got the wheels painted today. I hope to get the tires on in a few days.
    [​IMG]

28. RDR

RDR

good going and you're getting her done!! I planned to do the same thing until I fell into a trade...My running A roadster for a project 32 3 wd early hot rod...Really lucked out as the 32 was a '49 chopped channeled (lead) pretty famous Portland,OR car. I never would have chopped or channeled one as much, but love being pushed to the extreme as it is too cool fersure!!! Keep up the good work and I know you and your daughter will have great memories of this time together, you're a swell dad !!

29. Talked to Bobby Walden at LARS about this exact thing - if you dropped off a new Brookville 3W, the chop (as they do it) would be about $10,000.

Steve

30. Speedy Muertito

Speedy Muertito

this is cool. lot's of thought put into it. good details. Got the little one's hands in it.
    It's going to look great. Looking forward to the progress!